General discussion

JetDirect and HP DeskJet 970cxi

By ArnieJ ·
I've got an HP JetDirect 170x and an HP DeskJet 970cxi on Win2K Server. Can I get the little bugger to print? - This is driving me mad. The jetdirect has an IP of 192.168.1.2, server is 192.168.1.1, both have 255.255.255.0 as the SNM. The driversare the latest from HP, I can ping the JetDirect card from the server and can also print to other printers with the same card (albeit Epson Printers!) I can also print to the printer if I plug it straight into the PP of the server. The JetDirect config pages print OK, I can telnet to the JetDirect and adjust the config parameters from there. This is sending me nuts !! - someone must be able to help. Extra points for a mega quick response.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mphoffar In reply to JetDirect and HP DeskJet ...

Two thoughts -

Have your configured your gateway on the printer?? (maybe 192.168.1.1). I seem to remember at one place I worked at, just plugging an internal IP wasn't all you needed to do.

Configure the jet direct software on the print server to print to the MAC address instead of IP. At least this should confirm to you if this is network configuration or something with the printer and the jet direct card.

Good luck to you

Mark

Collapse -

by ArnieJ In reply to JetDirect and HP DeskJet ...

Nothing wrong with the JetDirect card as the same configuration worked when I used an Espon printer in place of the 970. The 970 is OK because I can print if I use a PPT instead of the network card.

Collapse -

by kcmeister In reply to JetDirect and HP DeskJet ...

there is a known issue on HP's website concerning the JetDirect 170x and Deskjet 970c printers. One symptom is that they will not print. They recommend using the corporate edition drivers and changing parallel handshaking to centronics only to resolve the issue. Apparently 2 sets of drivers exist, the ones for corporate users can sometimes fix the problem. funky URL-
http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/get_doc.pl?SNI=jetdirec8146&LC=networking&Tfile=bpj06309
don't forget to take the spaces out of url.
have fun!
kcmeister

Collapse -

This is exactly what I did. To be honest, I had worked it out before I read the response (I had actually changed the handshake to Bi-Directional using Web JetAdmin) But as your advice was spot on, I accept.

Collapse -

by aschol In reply to JetDirect and HP DeskJet ...

You should already have the corporate drivers for the printer because the 970cxi is already the corporate version of the printer. I believe that you need the HP JetAdmin software that should have come with the jetdirect.

Collapse -

I was already using the JetAdmin software but not getting anywhere. I ended up using Web JetAdmin (see previous answer)

Collapse -

by wbrisendine In reply to JetDirect and HP DeskJet ...

You stated that you are running the latest HP drivers. Does this include the latest firmware driver? If not try updating the JetDirect's firmware. If you have already done this, attempt to reset the Jet Direct so that it assigns itself a new IP address. To do so, remove the power from the jet direct and hold down the test button while the power is off. As you are holding down the test button, replace power to the Jet Direct. Continue to hold down the test button until the Jet Direct prints out a config page (this config page may not have an IP address assigned). Continue to print additional config pages until an IP address is assigned. Once you are able to verify that the Jet Direct has a new IP from the config page, then telnet into the Jet Direct and assign it the IP address you wish it to have.

Collapse -

I had tried this several times with different IP addresses all to no avail.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)