General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Join the Windows Server 2003 discussion

by debate ·

This is the second discussion thread of our ongoing Windows Server 2003 discussion, where you can post your WS2K3 questions, enter comments about our weekly Windows Server 2003 e-newsletter, and offer suggestions for future tips.

Paste the following URLs into a browser to check out our previous discussions. (Please remove any superfluous spaces when you copy and paste these links.)

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=3&threadID=129139

If you haven’t subscribed to our free weekly Windows Server 2003 e-newsletter, sign up today!
    http://nl.com.com/acct_mgmt.jsp?brand=techrepublic

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Web casting

by nancylou40 ·

In reply to Join the Windows Server 2003 discussion

I understand that web casting is built in to Windows server 2003. Has anyone worked with this app? I am looking for tips for recorded or live broadcasts within our network to terminal server Win 2K3 clients. Thanks. NC

Reply To: Join the Windows Server 2003 discussion

by valis ·

In reply to Web casting

that’s what i primarily use win2003 server for.
        right now, my server is in my back room, probably will go into a colo facility soon and offer web pubslishing points, it’s running Valis Radio right now, http://radio.valiskeogh.com/ValisRadio (only have 256k up at home, so if too many connect, you’ll get buffering problems)

use windows media encoder to encode or push the broadcast to the server, where clients can connect to it to view

valis
        http://www.valiskeogh.com

Re: that’s what i primarily use win2003 server for….

by felipe_alfaro ·

In reply to Reply To: Join the Windows Server 2003 discussion

Nothing…

Yep, I don’t use W2K3 for Nothing as I find it a monolithic
          piece of software that consumes tons of resources, is
          expensive, insecure and inefficient. For what I need, I can
          do the same thing using Linux/*BSD boxes and 1/10th of
          the resources.

For example, why would anyone to dedicate a full-blown
          machine to running W2K3 server as a router, when there
          are other solutions which are more cost-effective and
          secure, like OpenBSD or a hardware/appliance firewall? I
          find it totally nonsense when someone even thinks of
          using W2K3 as a router, even when knowing it’s full of
          security holes, it has millions of lines of useless code
          (Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer, Outlook
          Express, Windows Messenger, …. should I go on?).

All in all, W2K3 server may be good for running general
          purpouse services, like SAP/R3, streaming media, SQL
          Server, Proyect Server, etc. but why in the hell would
          someone want to run dedicated, specific, specialized
          infrastructure services on such an insecure, inefficient
          operating system?

The world is going crazy…

The World IS Going Crazy

by jcarullo ·

In reply to Re: that’s what i primarily use win2003 server for….

I agree. It’s a huge piece of software, overly complicated and just not that good. Way too many things being done by a bloated piece of software. I’d much rather use a firewall/router that I can plug in and configure in minutes. Just give me file and print services.

No way

by jcalexandres ·

In reply to Re: that’s what i primarily use win2003 server for….

I used Linux before … mainly to avoid spending the big bucks on a mail server running Exchange, it was worst, Linux had some many security holes and almost no control then to stop viruses to be delivered to users desktop, I got rid of it and used Windows 2000 Enterprise’s active directory with Exchange server, My boss learned the lesson the hard way, and after that the company was more willing to spend money in technology that actually will work.

Regards

Upgrading or Mgrating, which is the best?

by adraz ·

What is the draw back of upgrading?

Doing the migration thing

by techhund ·

In reply to Upgrading or Mgrating, which is the best?

Right now I am in the middle of a migration from NT4.0 to 2k3. This is what MS was stating the purpose of 2k3 was for those at NT4.0 to skip over 2000. Neither is a piece of cake since it requires AD and a new forest for setting up the new server as a domain controller, something which is not in NT4.0. I am running the NT4.0 server as the domain controller for the time being until the company goes away for the christmas holiday and then take out the NT4.0 server. The two biggest problems I have run into is the password restrictions and having a mixed environment of 98, 2000, and XP workstations. Each acts differently to a change in domain controller, worse being the 2k and XP machines as it creates new desktops and you have to migrate all the files and settings from the old to the new desktop. If anyone has any suggestions on this one, I would appreciate it.

creating new desktops

by cmtbob ·

In reply to Doing the migration thing

I haven’t had a change to try it yet but! I went to a MS hands on lab where it deminstrated that you can tell the account to use a profile that is already in use on the machine and it will use that one as opposed to creating a new one. If you want more info email me directly and I will try to find the instructions.

RE: Creating new desktop

by wswinglenospam9 ·

In reply to creating new desktops

I would be interested in how to do this so uses don’t have 2 accounts, one for laptop at work and one for laptop when they take it on the road.

Bill

Please advise me

by anthonykokch ·

In reply to creating new desktops

I am trying to migrate from NT domain to a Win2K3 AD domain. I managed to get the trust relationship working and migrating accounts are not an issue. The only thing is that I would like to keep the user profile in the desktop. I don’t wish to go through 200+ users to recreate the shortcut for them. Kindly advise. Thanks

AD

by r3d ·

Isn’t AD updated in 2003? I thought you had to update your clients to make it work properly or something. 98 is exempt from this, I think. I just remember seeing something on this awhile ago… I really need to load a server up with it and play…

-E

Migrating Profiles in 2k and XP

by jb tucson ·

First you have to have trust relationships between your NT domain and your new AD domain. Next log in as the user whose profile you wish to migrate, on the computer their profile resides. Log off, log in as local admin, right-click on my computer. On the profiles tab, locate the users profile in the old domain, select ‘copy to’ browse to the profile location that was created when you logged in as the user in the new domain. Make sure to click on ‘Permitted to use’ and give the user in the new domain permissions to use his profile. Click OK and the contents of profile\user.olddomain will be copied to profile\user.newdomain. Log in as the user in the new domain and see: drive mappings, printer mappings, outlook settings, desktop and start menu all moved. You can use this to move a user from one computer to another as well.

Also check out ADMT for moving 9x or NT to 2k/XP, a great tool!

Win98 Clients

by reynoldsjr ·

I’m a bit confused though one the 98 clients. I’ve installed DSClient care of the Win2k cd and disabled Kerbos auth. on the accounts that have win98 and have not had any issues thus far. I know without the dsclient though, the 98 clients could not change their password. I also have MS article 555038 that says to install DSCLIENT 2003 and not the one I used. Anyone ever heard of this client?

adding to a domain

by newtoitall ·

i am planning to add a W2k3 server to an SBS4.5 domain – nt4.0 SP6 based. I want to try it out before i upgrade the domain. has any one done this or similar and did you encounter any problems. all workstations are W98

About upgrading

by kayfabe27 ·

Using the analogy of a house that you want to be better, upgrading is like renovating. You still maintain the structure, or data, but replacing one piece will render it temporarily unavailable. Seeking a replacement is then a viable, but possibly a costly, option (say, renting out a small flat).
        Another drawback – the house may be too old to safely construct new additions, rendering an upgrade unfeasible.
        I hope this very broad answer helps.

Printing and DC issues with upgrade

by infoseceng ·

I performed an upgrade on my two W2K domain controllers to W2K3. The main issue I had during the upgrade was problems with replication of my domain controllers. Essentially, it was because it was completely setup correctly when the initial AD was created.

The other big issue I ran into was after the upgrade. One of my DC’s is a print server also. I still have some lingering issues with clients getting “WINWORD.EXE generated errors” when printing to some printers. They are mainly HP printers, so I dont know if this across the board with all printers or not. Everything else seems to print fine. I ended up deleting all printers and recreating with brand new drivers, but the issue still comes back with a few printers.

Other than that, in a small environment like mine, I say upgrading is the better way.

Dont waste your money!

by stormyfyre ·

I just spent 2 weeks in a class learning the ins and outs of 2003. If you are starting a new network, buy it. If you are already on W2k, dont waste your money, the chages are very minimal and is hardly worth the change, and the license has changed for the Terminal server part of W2k3.

Mike

It is worth it for a new install!

by brian158 ·

In reply to Dont waste your money!

For me I had done many server 2k installs before and managed them. I start to work for a small company that was just coming up to the times and at the time I was going to just install 2k server but with the price of 2k3 I went with it. I myself never seen a server install go soooo easy. I had no problems and actuall became somewhat bored. But to make the story short, I agree with Mike. DO NOT Upgrade a old 2k server to 2k3. You are better off starting for a clean installs. But I have friends who are now running both server 2k and server 2k3. They have had no problems at all.

Stick with W2K for Terminal Services

by Anonymous ·

In reply to It is worth it for a new install!

Even if you’re going for a new W2K3 domain, you’re better off “downgrading” one license to W2K purely for terminal services.

Things are supposed to be better in W2K3 for this, but after just installing one for a customer and encountering the rediculous new licensing regulations, we are about to roll it back to W2K as they are running a purely Win XP Pro environment for their clients.

We haven’t had too many dramas with W2K as a terminal server, but found W2K3 provided a pretty similar environment with slightly less control over locally opened files and with additional costs!

Terminal Services … May Cost More But

by giles ·

In reply to Stick with W2K for Terminal Services

Yes, I aggree Microsoft have screwed us on the licensing for terminal services on ws2k3, Or is it the other way round… did they screw themselves on the licensing for w2k. What a brilliant idea to give away free licensing for terminal server with all microsoft operating systems … Oh no everyone is using it and no one is paying for licenses. Over all the Terminal server is better in 2003 especially if you like to see your work in glorious high colour rather than 256 colours. If you have citrix on top of your 2k terminal server, you don’t need to upgrade otherwise I would never go back to 256 now i have seen the light. Its also easier for intalling software in terminal services mode etc.

Terminal 2003 Success

by fuzzylogic ·

In reply to Terminal Services … May Cost More But

I have 40 users connected to 2 TS machines that rely on this services as a fulltime desktop. Since installing the 2k3 TS TCO has improved and the stability and reliabilty is beyond reproach. The licencing of these machines was straight forward and no ill effects expierenced, yes I do agree Mr Gates and his mob certainly know how to charge…If Linux is a better alternative why is the percentage of users so low???

Don’t disable the Administrator account

by the_integrator ·

Rename or create an equivalent account, then create an Administrator account with few privilliges, and alerts a real admin when it is logged in. This way you can track and analyse the hacker and stop him/her before they find alternate way in and do some real damage!

Andy Rice
      http://www.ecssc.com

agree with clarifications

by ristau5741 ·

In reply to Don’t disable the Administrator account

rename the administrator account to something else
        create a new account called “administrator”
        make sure it is not a member of any local or global groups.
        give it a long and complicated password
        set auditing on the account, audit logons, more if you wish

not only can you track a hacker if they logon, but they’ll probably spend a huge amount of time to gain access to an account with no privliges.

Still can login as Administrator…

by hagstrom ·

In reply to agree with clarifications

Even if you disable the Administrator account you can still login if you boot up in Safe Mode.
          Just thought I would mention that if somebody messses up and gets locked out..! 🙂

Still a good idea though, as long as your computer is in a physically safe place.

/ Per

sbs2003 sql2000 enterprise and ms CRM

by joyner ·

In reply to Still can login as Administrator…

Does anyone out there know if you can use SQL 2000 enterprise over the top of sbs2003 and then install microsoft CRM. I can’t seem to find anyone at microsoft that knows for sure

SBS2003 abd SQL2000

by fsalsbur ·

In reply to sbs2003 sql2000 enterprise and ms CRM

You can install SQL 2000 on SBS2003 but you must install Service Pack 3 or higher before it is usable. I attempted to install the CRM software and it failed, the software attemps to perform a call to Com+ that is not allowed.

in a physically safe place

by the watcher ·

Very good point

Its always good to remember that if someone can physically access a server then its all over, they can do anything, alot of people seem to forget this 🙁

…..Not really!

by web guru ·

In reply to in a physically safe place

Thats a gimme but to make matters more difficult (assuming no equipment can be taken out of your building), buy a chassis that locks and keep it locked of course so you can see physical tampering… All you have to do, is setup a paging service to run a script to page you if your machine is going offline, monitor start-ups and shut-downs, (in CMOS) disable the floppy drive, disable booting from anything but the HD…. and the only thing he/she can do is open-up the system, but, if it’s being powered down – your script runs and you’ll be notified and have time to call the police and or get your butt down to your server room… 🙂

can’t login as administartor :(

by geoff ·

I need to recover the administrator password for a 2003 SMB server. I checked several tools available from http://www.petri.co.il, Unfortunately none of them do the job… (they mess up the password instead) Anyone had some joy doing this ?

I agree

by the watcher ·

In reply to Don’t disable the Administrator account

I agree, Its not enough to make it hard for a cracker to get into the system, you need to know what there doing and follow that up after the incident, see if they were onto something or just probing. Also, making the administrator account alert the real admins when it is logged on gives a good heads up when someone is where they shouldn’t be in good time, rather than finding it in a log file a few days or weeks after the event.

Turn off Exchange

by millardv ·

The application software requires me to turn off the Exchange Server before I Install. Do I need to do more than turn off the service?

media load simulator anyone?

by valis ·

has ANYONE had any experience using the media load simulator tool with win2003 server?

thanks, email if you can, valis@valiskeogh.com

2003 Group Policy

by glenziegler ·

Has anyone out there dealt with Windows 2003 Group Policy? I have downloaded Microsoft’s latest GPMC and installed it on my XP professional workstation – the console works fine. I am trying to figure out how to more finely tune user’s rights via group policies. More specifically, I would like to restrict the account operators group’s rights to reset certain accounts. Additionally, I would like to restrict our call center group’s rights so that they have the ability only to reset a user’s account and not view/change any other information about that account. Is this possible? Has anyone out there done something similar? Thanks!!

2003 Group Policy

by wmodwo ·

In reply to 2003 Group Policy

If I understand your question correctly, you want to walk through the delegation of control wizard. From Active Directory Users and Computers, rclick the domain or ou and chose delegation of control. Instead of using a default group like account operators that already has default rights,create another group and use that. Hope this helps.

by mikezee ·

In reply to 2003 Group Policy

Delegation of control is a wonderful thing indeed, but I think since he wants to restrict the Operators Group from “certain” accounts, he made need to just tweak the existing permissions for the accounts, groups, etc, in question yes?

Migrating from 2000 to 2003 server

by chats_phs ·

There is plenty of info on how to upgrade/migrate from NT to 2003 but nothing on how to do it from 2000. Does anyone know of a good place to find clear direction on doing this.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Migrating (2003) Event Viewer error

by mat.talbot ·

In reply to Migrating from 2000 to 2003 server

The migration is the easy part. It’s just an ‘in-place upgrade’. I found that I had several compatibility issues though – also with Exchange 2003 and older clients.
        The main issue I had was that the event viewer wouldn’t work – I could ONLY see the security log. After much digging around, I eventually had to call Microsoft and found that it’s a known issue – but they hadn’t bothered to post it!! The administrator account must be removed from the ‘Guests’ and ‘Domain Guests’ groups. That solved it. Apparently this doesn’t always happen, but it did to me!!
        I’ve upgraded the old Win2k DC’s and installed a new 2003 server and dcpromo’d it to DC. Will decommission the older servers as I much prefer a fresh install (but upgrading is easier than trying to build new ones alongside.).

Old DC to New DC

by tamoore ·

In reply to Migrating (2003) Event Viewer error

I have this same issue but as of right now, I have AD on our current DC and a copy of AD on the new DC. Do i need to go ahead and remove admin account from those groups on the current AD or do i need to wait until the DC goes into effect.

Another question, i hope you can help me with is i added this new DC and i cant see the drives on it, i read on Microsoft site that there is a problem seeing SYSVOL and NETLOGON if there is replica DC’s (M KB article 327781). Once we dcpromo the old DC, will the new DC shares just come up?? please help with any info possible.

Thanks,
          Tim

W2K-W2K3 articles from MS

by mthayer ·

In reply to Migrating from 2000 to 2003 server

Check out the following links. The first link:
        http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/whyupgrade/win2k/w2ktows03-2.mspx
        is a whitepaper “Upgrading from Windows 2000 to Windows Server 2003” from microsoft.
        The second:
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379
        is Microsoft KB article 325379 “How to upgrade Windows 2000 domain controllers to Windows Server 2003”

Hope this helps, I am in the process of adding a W2K3 DC to a W2K domain.

Newbie question

by tj8 ·

I’m taking my office from p2p to a server environment and have been reading all I can on server systems. As someone who’s main job isn’t IT but who will automatically become the IT person, which server OS is the easiest for a beginner? And, what’s the best way to learn? I’ve already pulled one of our older machines to use as a practice pc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Newbie Answer

by scifi ·

In reply to Newbie question

If you only knew how big that question could get…

Get an MCSE study kit and read the whole thing. Just read, not study. It will give you an idea of the scope of the question you just asked.

Now for the nutshell…

As far as which is easiest, the answer is windows. As for 2000 or 2003, 2000 is less secure out of the box and so more forgiving as far as security goes (file permissions etc…). To an experienced admin that is a bad thing, but your situation may not require major security.

You need to evaluate how secure your environment needs to be from a user perspective and from a network perspective. You also need to avaluate what netowork protocol to use. Server 2003 dropped the NETBEUI protocol, but it’s still available in 2000.

You also need to know if you are going to a server environment, that means a central point for data (read: all eggs in one basket) and you should not use a generic PC with IDE hard drives for a server. Spend the money and buy a real server with raid controller and SCSI drives. They are not as expensive as you might think, and easy as hell to setup. They also have significantly higher throughput than a PC due to the internal bus structure (most servers have 2 or more PCI buses, PC’s are still in the stone ages in that respect). Also they have excellent warrantees and replacement parts are usually a phone call and overnight shipping away. Vendors who sell servers know there bread in in that business and the support you get is not even in the same league as a PC.
        Good Luck.

Thank you

by tj8 ·

In reply to Newbie Answer

I’m getting the study kit and a few books, as well as evaluating what kind of server to start with. Obviously an entry level one might not be a bad place to start. I’ve also ordered the 2003 trial kit from MS. However, before I sink a lot of $ into this, I may use the older pc’s to set up a test network where I can learn and compare. Again, Thanks for your advice.

SATA on Windows

by t_r_e_99 ·

Your article says that no version Windows supports SATA out of the box. Are you refering to just windows Server? I have a W2K Pro machine that has a SATA drive as the boot and system drive and did not have to load any drivers to support this. Am I missing something?

Can you run a 2000 server as Domain Controller in 2003 AD?

by hi-tek redneck ·

Can you run a 2000 server as a Domain Controller in 2003 AD? This would be as a function of BDC in addition to a 2003 DC. Any advice would be appreciated.

Admin Terminal Services Shadowing

by farmer ·

I have been looking for a way to use the administrative Terminal service like PC Anywhere so I could see a process that is running in the current session and read somewhere that this was only available on 2003 server. I have setup a testbed with 2003 server to test this feature out but can not figure out how to use it so that I can run/control a 2003 server from an XP pro workstation. Anyone have any information on this feature?
      Thanks,
      Dwayne

Answer

by scifi ·

In reply to Admin Terminal Services Shadowing

To get to the console session on WS03 you use the remote desktop MMC snapin instead of the terminal server client.

Go to run and type in tsmmc.msc and click OK. You will get the MMC tool for terminal services.

Right click on remote desktops, click add (new?), add the server you want to see the console on and make sure the “connect to console” box is checked. Voila! Console access. Keep in mind the server only allows one remote connection if it’s console access (I think I read that somewhere…).

Running a .BAT and/or .EXE from network

by Anonymous ·

In our automation, we execute a client from a network location for all OS’s being tested. Under 2003 Server, we get the File Download dialog with the message that “Some files can harm your computer” with the Open, Save, Cancel and More info buttons. I can’t uncheck the
      “Always ask before opening this type of file” option – but unless this file opens without this prompt – automation will not start. Any way to disable this to be like all other Windows OS’s?
      Does the .EXE or .BAT have to be signed to avoid this message?

I found the answer from MS Support.

by Anonymous ·

In reply to Running a .BAT and/or .EXE from network

No need to reply to this.

by jpbrown ·

In reply to I found the answer from MS Support.

Would you ming sharing your findings – I am having the same issue.

Thanks!

Help me find the answer to this TS problem.

by romang ·

In reply to Share

I cannot find where to reset this dialig box thing.

I am running win2003 TS and all sessions show the window (open, save, cancel) everytime they run the application .EXE file.

the solution for this problem

by b.wieskamp ·

In reply to Help me find the answer to this TS problem.

Try to uninstall the enhanced security configuration for IE that’s installed by default in W2k3 (Control Panel/Software/Windows Components); this might help.
          If it doesn’t, your users will have to open the Internet Settings and add the machine that hosts the share to the “Local Intranet” site.

by jayfore ·

In reply to Running a .BAT and/or .EXE from network

Do you map drives by servername or by IP?

Why upgrade?

by gworley9 ·

Why Upgrade to Windows 2003, when my current network works just fine? And, this upgrade would mean upgrading hardware is well. The Compaq servers (2 of them) work just fine for my 5 users and I don’t use Exchange for my email server so can you tell me reasons to upgrade my Windows NT servers to Windows 2003? The best reason not to upgrade is the economy doesn’t warrant new investments in hardware when I can barely afford to keep the people that I have working for me.

Thank you for this time.

George

by mikezee ·

In reply to Why upgrade?

If it works then you are probably correct, no need to upgrade. If, however something breaks, or your 5 users needs an app that requires an updated NOS then you may be hosed. Microfot no longer support NT4 AFAIK.

So, in short… If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Printing, permissions, and REAL world?

by mikezee ·

I would like to know how people set printing permissions and such in the real world.

We are going from Novell NDPS to Windows 2003 printing. I have set up all the printers in 2003 and now I need to push out the “appropiate” printers to each user via GPO / Scripts. I would love to be able to use one script, one GPO and (heres the tricky part) be able to use computer objects in order to determine who (users) get what printers. I may be crazy, but this seems real world and so far all that I have read and gotten replies back have said that although it’s possible, it will take very complicated scripts because I want to use computer objects. Quite a few of our users logon to different PC’s throughout the company and so I can’t set printers up by users. Heck that’s easy, but NOT IMO real world!

So, any suggestions?

Poss Solution

by reallifeinuk ·

In reply to Printing, permissions, and REAL world?

Are the clients running XP ! Is so can supply the basis of a script that installs all ( or some ) of the the available printers to each client. Has been tested in High School enviroments in the Uk with W2003 server and Xp clients up to 300+ users.

printer scripts

by jrice ·

In reply to Printing, permissions, and REAL world?

While you can push your drivers as discribed via GPO it is somewhat complicated. I have found that script logic will do just as you ask. Check out http://www.scriptlogic.com. This software can do far more then policies for a domaian

Free Software

by tmohanty ·

download free software from http://www.cisindia.net

Viewing 15 reply threads