General discussion

Joining an NT domain with 2000 wkstn

By rsquaredg ·
Recently attempted to join a 2000 workstation to a NT 4.0 Server. SPs up to date. Get a message that the user is unknown or password incorrect. Can use search for computer to see the NT Server from the 2000 box and can get to other W9x computers on the network but can't join the domain. Attempts to solve have included using same Administrator username and password on both boxes. Is this an instance where the netdom utility is needed?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by nutcracker In reply to Joining an NT domain with ...

Try registering it to NT4 Server with its network I

1. Right click on My computer icon/Properties.
2. On Network Neighborhood tab click on Network ID. Then you can take it from here!

Hope this helps!
Cheers!

Collapse -

by rsquaredg In reply to Joining an NT domain with ...

This is the same way that NT works and I've done it dozens of time in NT without problem. This was truly a new twist. The problem was resolved by the third respondent's advice. Waiting two weeks until I finally resolved the issue probably also allowed for the netbios database on the NT Server to acknowledge the new 2000 workstation. When I first tried to join the domain the 2000 workstation was not showing up on the NT browse list.

Thanks,

Ron

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Joining an NT domain with ...

1. Be sure you are logged onto the Win2K workstation with a user ID that has administrative rights to both the local workstation and the domain.

2. Use the Network ID button (right click My Computer, Network Identification tab, Network ID button) and follow the wizard's instructions. Again, be sure you use a user ID that has both local and domain admin rights when prompted.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

This is the same way that NT works and I've done it dozens of time in NT without problem. This was truly a new twist. The problem was resolved by the third respondent's advice. Waiting two weeks until I finally resolved the issue probably also allowed for the netbios database on the NT Server to acknowledge the new 2000 workstation. When I first tried to join the domain the 2000 workstation was not showing up on the NT browse list.

Thanks,

Ron

Collapse -

by Nbard In reply to Joining an NT domain with ...

I thought that the first two questions were correct when I had this problem. The actual answer is to go into My Network Places, Properties, LAN Connection Properties, TCP/IP Properties, Advanced, DNS tab.(Finally) Make sure the 2 bottom check boxesare checked, "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" and "Use this connection;s DNS suffix in DNS registration". This solved my problem, and yours sounds like the same thing.

Collapse -

The problem appears to of been resolved by your advice. Waiting two weeks until I finally resolved the issue probably also allowed for the netbios database on the NT Server to acknowledge the new 2000 workstation. When I first tried to join the domain the 2000 workstation was not showing up on the NT browse list.

Thanks,

Ron

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)