General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

joining Win 2003 AD domain

by sue t ·

Here is the situation. Until recently we did not have or use Active Directory or domains. We now have a Windows 2003 Server running Active Directory. All of the workstations are running Windows XP sp2. I am slowly adding the workstations to the domain but would like to know if there is a way to do it without having to 1. join the domain, 2. reboot, 3. logon as the user whose computer it is so it can make a profile, 4. log on as a local computer administrator to copy the computer users profile to the new domain user profile. Because when you do this I find that you then have to fiddle around with Outlook to make it work correctly and still be able to import the backup into the new user. Also, it causes problems with some applications so I thought maybe there is a way to do this that would allow the original user to join the domain and not have to copy profiles. One thing you need to know is that at this time all users who aren’t on the domain yet log on to their computer with the same username so I realize that I will have to change their username on the local computer to the username that is set up in Active Directory.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: joining Win 2003 AD domain

by bfilmfan ·

In reply to joining Win 2003 AD domain

Answers:

1 and 2: You have to join the domain to be a member of the domain. Once you change from the local workstation workgroup to a domain, you have to reboot.

3 and 4: If the user has a domain account and you grant that account permissions as a local administrator, you don’t have to login as a local computer administrator.

You can also copy the former local profile to the new domain profile.

From the User Profile tab in the System Control Panel:
      Select desired User Profile
      Select “Copy to” button
      Navigate to desired location and select OK

5: There are third party tools which will correctly assoicate Outlook profiles with domain accounts. Otherwise, you will fiddle.

by sue t ·

In reply to Reply To: joining Win 2003 AD domain

Poster rated this answer.I apologize for taking so long to rate this question. You answered all of my questions nicely in a way that is understandable.

by sue t ·

In reply to joining Win 2003 AD domain

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 1 reply thread