General discussion

Just how good is MS Project 2000?

By fitzgibb ·
To read articles about Project 2000 and Project Central one would think that truely you can slice bread with them.

Just how good are they when under load?

Is there some web sites I can look at which deal with the functionality and more to the point issues of trying to use these products under load?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by donq In reply to Just how good is MS Proje ...

Personally I have found Project (all versions) cumbersom and difficult to justify and/or use. My response comes in the form of a request: "Reject my answer but leave other answers open for a few days so I can see if ANYONE believes in Project 2000. I know many companies use it - but most abuse more then use I think???" Thanks

Collapse -

by el flush san In reply to Just how good is MS Proje ...

You can slice bread with Project2000 but as in real life you need to understand the use of the tool - ie if it is a jam tart ... don't slice it with a bread slicer!!

There are competitive products available which do a bit less or a bit more in some areas; they all have evaluation copies; define your business requirements, weight them, and then test each package on how close they get to your requirements.

Regarding Project Central; it is a companion product to Project2000 which provides a'free' web interface for reporting within a project environment. It allows for notification of tasks/assignments and helps provide the Project Manager with a single interface for collecting actual effort and proposed changes (obviously it can be used for a few other things).
Other non-project members can be enabled to view project status without a need to see the actual raw Project2000 file (*.mpp). The same web interface can be configured to display project status reports.

Combined with the ability to customize views, tables, groups, filters, fields, etc., etc., I believe that Project2000 and Project Central provide a very valuable project management tool at relatively neglible cost (cost is in comparison to any other web-enabled tool).

I am sure there are a number of people out there who might feel as strongly about other product ranges/suites.

Collapse -

by fitzgibb In reply to Just how good is MS Proje ...

Thanks el flush san, however your reply does not address the question as to its ture ability to handle consolidated resource scheduling across significant numbers of projects for instance.
I agree that there are many great features in both products from MS but managing projects with it in isolation from all the other projects in an organisation is next to pointless. Prior versions had the shifting power of a Ford Pickup, I perseive the need is for something with the pulling power of a MackTruck, are you telling me that P2000 and P/Central are in the latter categorie now?

Collapse -

by fitzgibb In reply to Just how good is MS Proje ...

Thanks el flush san, however your reply does not address the question as to its ture ability to handle consolidated resource scheduling across significant numbers of projects for instance.
I agree that there are many great features in both products from MS but managing projects with it in isolation from all the other projects in an organisation is next to pointless. Prior versions had the shifting power of a Ford Pickup, I perseive the need is for something with the pulling power of a MackTruck, are you telling me that P2000 and P/Central are in the latter categorie now?

Back to Desktop Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)