General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

kingston dt101 g2 usb PROBLEM

by sammyboy2978 ·

Its a 32 gb drive the led comes on but does not blink, the computer does not even detect a drive in the usb slot… i have checked the drivers for the port it is functioning properly, i tried other usb sticks and they work fine and i have used EASUS partition master (which has fixed a similar problem before) but it does not work.. I have unplugged the pc and pulled the battery off for 30 minutes and still does not work….. I have tried to us it on multiple computers and still nothing… Does anyone else have an idea? other than the usb stick is a brick? lol thanks

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

From Kingston FAQ

by thechas ·

In reply to kingston dt101 g2 usb PROBLEM

Note: Technical questions will usually get a faster response when posted in the Technical Q&A section rather than the discussion forum.

Here is information from the FAQ section on the Kingston web site.

There are several possible reasons why your DataTraveler is not being detected in Windows.

1. The DataTraveler could be conflicting with a pre-assigned drive letter. To resolve, do the following (Do not do this for a “Privacy” drive that assigns two drive letters):

1. Insert the DataTraveler and right-click on My Computer located on your desktop or under the Start button on the Task bar.
      2. Select “Manage.”
      3. Select “Disk Management” on the left window pane.
      4. Locate the DataTraveler on the right window pane.
      5. Right-click on the drive and select “Change Drive Letter and Paths.”
      6. Click Change and select a new drive letter from the drop-down box. Then click OK.

2. The DataTraveler may be conflicting with pre-installed software. Disable all applications running in the background prior to installation of the Data Traveler.

3. If you have never used the USB ports, make sure they are working and enabled via the BIOS. Refer to your system’s manual for instructions on how to access the BIOS. The USB ports should also be enabled in Device Manager. To access Device Manger, right click My Computer and select “Properties.” On the System Properties dialog box, click on the Hardware tab and then on the Device Manager button. Locate the Kingston Data Traveler, usually under “Hard disk controllers” or listed as “Other.” Right-click on the device and select the “enable” option.

4. Make sure you have the latest Windows Service Pack. Windows Service Packs contain fixes and updated drivers for USB devices. To find out if you have a Service Pack installed, Right-click My Computer and select “Properties”. On the General tab under “System” you will find the Windows version and Service Pack information listed. If no Service Pack is listed, you can download it from the Microsoft Website.

5. If you have a desktop computer, make sure the DataTraveler is inserted directly into one of the main USB ports on the back of the PC. Front ports, keyboard ports or USB Hubs may not supply sufficient power for the High Speed DataTraveler to function properly.

6. If the DataTraveler shows up in Disk Manager but not My Computer (Computer in Windows Vista and 7) or Explorer and you have TweakUI installed, it may modify the registry to make drives hidden. To resolve, go to “TweakUI Properties” and configure it to display drives.

7. If you received a (Code 10) error and have more than one USB device inserted, remove the devices and insert the Kingston DataTraveler by itself. This error may be an indication that your particular system cannot support more than one USB device at a time.

8. Make sure you have the latest BIOS and/or firmware installed on the computer. The BIOS/Firmware can be downloaded from the computer manufacturer’s Website.

FAQ: KDT-010611-GEN-02

Chas

Viewing 0 reply threads