Question

Laptop not charging (Acer Aspite 5810TZ)

By hiltonnashida ·
My laptop is not charging when plugged in. With the battery powered it works just fine. I purchased a new adapter - the laptop charged as normal but only over night. The next day it stopped charging again.

What could be the problem here? I tested the adapter on another laptop and it works.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

See text below

by robo_dev In reply to Laptop not charging (Acer ...

A quick search on the Internet will turn up a lot of Acer Aspire One (AOA) owners reporting similar problems. Quite often people update the Bios to fix this problem. However there is similar solution.
The Problem

The Amber (Orange) battery light blinks constantly and netbook works only on AC power.
The Solution

Follow the steps given below. (Please be careful when handling computer electrical components like batteries and AC Adapters)

Remove the battery and hold down the power button for few seconds (to drain all remaining power)
Power up the computer without the battery with the A/C adapter plugged in.
Wait for few seconds and plug the battery back in

After a few tries the computer should start charging normally. The amber battery stops blinking and turn green when fully charge

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by hiltonnashida In reply to See text below

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately this did not work.

I am not much of an electrician - what could be the cause if there appears to be an electric current running throught the system but the laptop is not charging? I felt a slight charge when I had the system plugged in and my hand touched one of the USB ports.

I've looked at some troubleshooting maps and they are leading me to a possible issue with the motherboard. In my mind that says "must purchase new laptop".

I am open to suggestions.

Collapse -

It is possible the battery itself is malfunctioning,

and in need of replacing. I've replaced the AC adapter and a battery on my
Acer Aspire One ZG5 netbook, but the old battery is still OK and charges,
the adapter had gone bad. Turns out it is a loose connection inside the jack
that plugs into the netbook, so now I have 2. Anyway, I used BatteryEdge,
they have merged with another company, now called Supplies Outlet.
http://www.suppliesoutlet.com/Laptop-Batteries-Adapters-s/30457.htm

Collapse -

Converter/inverter circuits

by mjd420nova In reply to Laptop not charging (Acer ...

Laptops mostly use a small inverter/converter board with required charging voltages or replacement voltage to run the unit when the battery is removed. The little board has the adapter jack soldered to it, sometimes the hack is part of the main/motherboard. Jamming the adapter connector into the jack can break the connector loose creating intermittent operation. With the battery removed, the unit should run on the adapter, if not, the connector is the fault and the most common fault of all laptops.

Collapse -

These are Lemon comps & should be taken off the market.

by Grumpy Consumer In reply to Laptop not charging (Acer ...

I bought my Acer Aspire 5750G computer in November 2012.
It is now June 2013 & the computer will only come on with just the power cord sometimes & when it does it only stays on for a few seconds.
The battery won't recharge because the computer won't stay on. The Lights (power & battery) keep blinking.
I've tried suggestion I could find on the internet to fix it.
Nothing worked so I cannot use the computer.
I took it back to where I paid $800.00 + for it & the salesman had the nerve to blame it on me & say I yanked the power chord out of the computer.
Why in the world would anyone deliberately yank a power chord out of a computer they PAID $800+ for ?
I think he KNEW there are well known major problems with these computers & didn't want to give me my money back so he started an argument instead.
The computer is still under warranty but I know the games some big companies play.
Send the computer in & they will say nothing is wrong with it. Bunch of thieves & crooks.
I took it to Geek Squad & although they couldn't fix it because I didn't buy it at Best Buy, they said its a hardware problem. Obviously since it quit working after only 6 months !

Back to Smartphones Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)