General discussion

laptop on a 2000 domain and used at home

By thom1chef ·
I just inherited a 2000 server domain at a real estate office and I am fairly new to server admin. (I know enough to get myself in trouble but am studying hard to get up to speed quickly) Several of the agents want to be able to use their home laptops on the office domain as well as at home. I will obvioulsy scan them for viruses andother little beasts before I join them to the domain. My question is this... How do I set the laptops up to be able to access the domain at the office and still be able to access their home network? There may be different set ups at the different agents home locations. PLease be gentle as I said I am a newbie.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Nicolas Solop In reply to laptop on a 2000 domain a ...

Hi, I have one customer that had similar needs a long time ago. I solved their problems using Multinetwork Manager from Globesoft. This software will prompt a window before the "Press ALT+CTRL+DEL" screen asking where are you located, this will let you set different networks and domains.
Also this software will let you setup network printers, proxies and default gateways for each network that you configure on the software. It works great.

Here you have the link of the website: http://www.globesoft.com/mnm7_home.asp

Regards.

Nicolas Solop

Collapse -

by Sardukkan In reply to laptop on a 2000 domain a ...

1st you must determin the OS of the Laptops, it they are XP home edition, you can't get them on the domain. It must be XP Pro, Windows 2000, 98 SE can both loginto a domain if you set the TCP/IP options up correctly.
In the case of XP Pro, the network destop with look different from what they see @ home...

Collapse -

by adembo In reply to laptop on a 2000 domain a ...

There is not different setup. If you join them to the domain, and they have succsefully logged onto the domain, then their user info is cached on the computer. They can log onto the laptop, still logging onto the domain, at home without issue. The only time that becomes a problem is if you are using a proxy server or something for internet access.

If that is the case, then create the a local user on the laptop. They then just simply change the domain to the local workstation.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)