General discussion

LCD problem with Sony PCG-NV170

By Melimar ·
My LCD faded to white when I was emailing a friend. I tried rebooting, turn off for 10 min.'s and then booting up, Unplugging power chord and resetting system(bootm pin opening) and remvoing and reinstalling the battery and booting up. Opened the Lcd cover, check connections and nothing was loose. I hooked up the laptop to my desktop moniote(via 4 port switch). The system is working fine. While viewind on my desktop monitor, all of a sudden I got a visual on my laptop screen. It stood on for navigation for about 10 minutes. I shut down, disconnected it from 4 port swtich and re-booted. All White screen. Bottom line is that I took it to Comp USA and they say it's the LCD. They opened the case to check connections and they were not loose. I also noticed that the laptop got pretty hot with 20 minutes of powering up. Can you please tell if it may be something other than a $400 dollar LCD?

Thank You,
Melinda

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mjd420nova In reply to LCD problem with Sony PCG ...

Yes, it could be the video section of the memory has failed. If there appears to be more heat than usual, the vent maybe plugged and the fan dusty and dirty. That could cause the video troubles you are seeing.

Collapse -

by Melimar In reply to LCD problem with Sony PCG ...

Hmmm don't think it's the video card because I get a perfect image when I hook up the laptop to another monitor. I will check for dust and dirt too.
Thank You,
Melinda

Collapse -

by w2ktechman In reply to LCD problem with Sony PCG ...

most likely they are right about the lcd. I have seen quite a few die like this.

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to LCD problem with Sony PCG ...

I've got a mountain of LT's with exactly the same problem sitting here that are not worth repairing the LCD Monitors are fragile things that do fail.

As for the heat issue I would check that the air intakes are not blocked quite often NB's are sat on a table with some form of loose covering that gets sucked up and blocks the air intake so things overheat and he better NB's slow down and eventually shut down to prevent damage. Some of the not as well designed ones will run till they burn out though today they are more of a rarity than what they used to be. If you have a Centrino Platform it's unlikely to self destruct it will stop itself before any permanent damage is done normally.

But there are things that do get hot in any NB things like the HDD isn't directly connected to a large piece of metal to spread the heat and keep it cool, battery packs will do the same thing when attached to the mains adaptor and the CPU can get very hot but provided that there is nothing blocking the air intakes this is OK and the reason that HDD fail so often in NB's.

Col

Collapse -

by Melimar In reply to LCD problem with Sony PCG ...

Hello Again,
Thank you al for your help. I think I am going to go for the LCD. Btw does anyone know where I can get an exact diagram with instructions on how to open my laptop. I am quite capaple.I just can't find the "hidden screws". I removed about 12 and the front part was pretty loose but the back wasn't loose.
I will also keep you update as to the status of the Laptop once I have install the LCD.
Thanks again,
Melinda

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)