General discussion

LDAP on Windows 2000?

By Aaron_Wurthmann ·
Ok, that isn't meant as a rhetorical question. I know that Active Directories uses LDAP. Now my question is how to use it as both an end user and or a secondary LDAP server to link to.

Background on Environment:
Windows 2000 Server and Workstations
Solaris and Linux with NIS servers and workstations.

End result:
We are trying to centralize user administration for both NIS and Windows. We know that we can do that with LDAP, but I am not sure if LDAP is running in that fashion on myservers. I would of course like to use LDAP as an Address Book and I was told I could do that by using an e-mail client, like Outlook Express, and pointing the LDAP directory listing at my Domain Controller. (It didn't work). What am I missing? Please help, I think that I need to bring up another LDAP server for the NIS side of the house but I don't know how to link the two? Please shoot as much information at me that ya can. I am not as much interested in NIS this I am the directory listing and server linking. In other words, you don't have to know how NIS works just how to link a Windows 2000 LDAP server to a Unix LDAP server.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

LDAP on Windows 2000?

by dmiles In reply to LDAP on Windows 2000?

This may point you in the right direction-In LDAP Architecture there is the directory information tree (DIT)contains info for a network
Each object in DIT is refered to as the directory service
Each object in the DIT must be unique within the LDAPstructure
Now you will have to refer to the Resource Kits Utilities
Active Directory Administration Tool(LDP)LDP is the graphical tool that allow users to perform LDAP operations-such as connect,bind,search,modify,add,adn delete-against any LDP compatible directory,such as Active Directory

Collapse -

LDAP on Windows 2000?

by Aaron_Wurthmann In reply to LDAP on Windows 2000?

Thanks, I tried that already.

Collapse -

LDAP on Windows 2000?

by Aaron_Wurthmann In reply to LDAP on Windows 2000?

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)