Question

Learning Windows Server 2003 and Linux

By Tech b00n ·
Greetings!

I am CompTIA A+ and recently Network+ Certified individual trying to gear up my skills to break into IT. I was hoping to get some tips on how best to go about learning Windows Server 2003 and Linux.

I am particularly worried about Linux seeing that there are quite a lot of distributions. I am considering studying for a CompTIA linux+ Cert but I am having a hard time deciding on going for a Red Hat Certification instead.

Being A+ & Network+ Certed, is there a need to pursue a Server+ Cert? and what is the best way to learn about Windows Server 2003? Up until now I just pick up books to read.

Or should I put these on hold and fire on to MCSA?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I would go for the Red Hat Certification.

Because what you do in RedHat you can apply in Windows also, though not all. So if you are up to it go for both. Though if it were me i would go for RedHat Certification.
But that is up to you. It is your choice to make.
Happy computing. :)

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks.

Collapse -

Best way to lean is

by cmiller5400 In reply to Learning Windows Server 2 ...

The best way to learn is to get a copy of it and play with it. The Microsoft press books are pretty good. I have the 2003 MCSE set and they are informative. Nothing beats hands on experience though...

Collapse -

My suggestion....

by ---TK--- In reply to Learning Windows Server 2 ...

I was going to say learn Solaris, but Red hat is probably easer to learn on. Its more forgiving. But you might even want to give Ubuntu a try for a little bit.

From all the distro's I have worked on (started on Fedora Core 3) Ubuntu, seems like it is the most stable for a home Non-supported OS's.

I would say start with Ubuntu, after you get comfortable, jump into red hat... Remember right as your about to pull your hair out, its only a pc... :)....