General discussion

Legacy Software on Windows 2003 Server

By Keith at ANW ·
I need to provide remote access to a legacy client/server database program (written in Access 97) through Terminal Services on a Win2K3 Server. The problem I am having is that only Administrators can run the program (locally or remotely). Could this be because the software is not specifically for Win2K3?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by cmiller5400 In reply to Legacy Software on Window ...

Try adding a user to the power users group on the local server and see if they can run it that way. It sounds like a rights issue on the file system. Could be they do not have access to some database dll files or something in the winnt\system32 etc.

Collapse -

by Keith at ANW In reply to
Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Legacy Software on Window ...

I would recommend that you download VMWare (which is free) and run the software in a virtual machine session. You could grant whatever rights were needed in that withough granting any "real" rights on the physical machine.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by cmiller5400 In reply to Legacy Software on Window ...

Hey BfilmFan, VMWare is not free, there is a trial version for 30 days... Am I looking at the same sofware as you?

Collapse -

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Legacy Software on Window ...

terminal services on W2003 server is limited to administrators IF you installed terminal services in administration mode. your also limited to the # of connections that can be made via terminal services in administration mode.

you can add a security group in the remote access properties [of which if enabled administrators are automatically given access].

if you installed terminal services in application mode then you have to have terminal services CALs or TM will reject connections.

instead of a windows platform try a linux platform terminal services program [or you can write your own to work on a Linux box] where you don't need licensing.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Keith at ANW In reply to Legacy Software on Window ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)