Our forums are currently in maintenance mode and the ability to post is disabled. We will be back up and running as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!



Licensing for domain controller

By rlynch@lockhartcadillac. ·
I am installing a server running server 2008 as a domain controller for 50pc's. Do I need to purchase cal's for all of those users if all im doing is using the server as a dc? There wouldnt be any file sharing or anything else? Thanks for the help in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -


by CG IT In reply to Licensing for domain cont ...

Client Access Licenses are for the client making a connection to the server. The server has 5 CALs built in so any more than 5 connecting will be denied a connection.

Collapse -

Yes indeed

by Mohammad Oweis In reply to Licensing for domain cont ...

Yes, you have to purchase some CAL license from Microsoft.
The CAL is for having a connection between a client and the server.

Collapse -

You only need to purchase CAL's

by OH Smeg Moderator In reply to Licensing for domain cont ...

If you want these 50 or so PC's to be able to connect to the Server and use things like Group Policies or Active Directory.

So if you want the Server to be useful and not just sitting there sucking up electricity and costing you more money all the while doing nothing then Yes you do need the CAL's.

M$ does however sell Bulk CAL Packs which is considerably cheaper than buying the individual CAL's.


Related Discussions

Related Forums