General discussion


Licensing question

By sharon ·
We are thinking about setting up an Exchange box for a large group of sales reps. The sales reps would never have to connect to our exchange server. they would get an email address, which would forward to their email account. My question is about licensing. our company reseller has advised us that since these reps will never connect to our exchange server, we do not need to buy CALS for them. Does this sound right? It seems to me that if they are going to be recieving email at our exchange server, then they would need licenses no matter if they connect to our box to get their email or not. Any thoughts on the matter?? Thanks a lot.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ChrisDent In reply to Licensing question

That sounds accurate. MS state that:

The Exchange 2003 user CAL is required for each user gaining access to the server.

However, your server is just forwarding e-mail so the users in question aren't accessing it.

The best bet to confirm this is to write to or ring microsoft directly.

Collapse -

by jerenzo In reply to Licensing question

Although the licensing you have is for users, the server only manages/restricts concurrent users (simultanious connections) based on the number of licenses you purchased. Therefor, according to your license agreement with Microsoft, you will need a CAL for each user. However, the system will only govern the number of concurrent connections according the number of licenses registered. So, if you want to be legal, you need a CAL for each user.

Collapse -

by sharon In reply to Licensing question

This question was closed by the author

Related Discussions

Related Forums