Question

Line Printer emulation RS232

By Viperfriends12 ·
I have a device that outputs information to a okidata line printer via rs232 port, anyone tell me where I can find software to load on an xp pro machine to emulate the printer to show on a monitor and save to a file. I have a rs232 to usb2 cable. Could anyone help. Understand what I am trying to do. basically I want to take away the printer and paper and output this information to a monitor. thanks in advance. Viper

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Hyperterm and null-modem adaptor

by Churdoo In reply to Line Printer emulation RS ...

The only trick here is connecting your RS232 cable from the device, to an available serial port on the XP workstation.

Does the XP workstation have an available serial port, or only USB, hence your reference to the USB-RS232 cable.

Either way, you probably need a "null modem adaptor" to join your 2 RS232 cables together ("null modem" is the term in RS232 for manipulating the pinouts properly to connect 2 terminal devices together, i.e. your collection device to your XP workstation.)

Once connected properly, Hyperterm included free on your XP Pro workstation can be configured for your serial port, or the virtual serial port from your USB-RS232 driver to do exactly what you want to do.
--C

Collapse -

AAhhh

by Viperfriends12 In reply to Hyperterm and null-modem ...

forgot about the null modem, I am going to try that tonight. thanks.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums