General discussion

Linksys BEFSR41 or Netgear RP614 router?

By ybro2 ·
I'm setting up a small home network and I wanted a general response from anyone who has used either the linksys befsr41 or the netgear rp614 routers.
How highly would you recommend it? Why would you recommend it according to its own stats and/or compared to others? What problems if any have you had with the specific router? How is the port forwarding on the implied router?(I will be forwarding ports very often).

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Linksys BEFSR41 or Netgea ...

I have the Linksys, and have been happy with it, and the support from Linksys.

The only complaint that I have is that the 'firewall' protection is a bit of a misnomer.

On the Linksys BEFSR41, the firewall consists of a switch in router setup to require that each connected PC have Zone Alarm Pro installed and running.

NOT what I expected.

Overall, the BEFSR41 is a decent value for a home router. I have been recommending it to friends setting up home networks to share their broadband connections.

Looking over the manual for the Netgear, I think I would choose the Netgear over the Linksys especially for how you plan to use the router.

Chas

Collapse -

by ybro2 In reply to Linksys BEFSR41 or Netgea ...

I actually did end up getting the Netgear. After looking over its control menu I see it allows a lot of customizing. I had read other user reviews that it was a bit harder to forward ports on the Linksys.

Collapse -

by pctech In reply to Linksys BEFSR41 or Netgea ...

Should you have an ISP that requires login, such as most DSL connections, the Lynksys can be configured to do the login for you. Should your ISP not require login, the Netgear would be my choice. I am currenly behind the Netgear RP614 and have absolutely no issues with it, even after flashing the ROM on it. This router has been in use, 24/7, for nearly a year and performed flawlessly. Ports are easily configured on either router.
I hope this helps.

Collapse -

Actually, the Netgear(I ended getting that one) can be used on a login service. It's set up for DSL, with a dynamic ip, and thus far works ok. Pretty simple setup also. Time to see what limits I can push it to now!! =-)

Collapse -

by PaulP In reply to Linksys BEFSR41 or Netgea ...

I found out with the Linksys BEFSR41, CU-SEEME will not work. Otherwise, I have no issues. It actually seems to have improved my DSL connection.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)