General discussion

Linksys RV042 VPN from XP

By razz2 ·
This is really bugging me. I deal with Watchguard and Sonicwall vpn's. I have also used Netgear FVS318's. The Linksys RV042 looked great for a client I have as the feature to price is great. I am sure a VPN between 2 of them would work, buit from my client it is a pain. I have used Softremote, but only in a GroupVPN format as It will not connect otherwise. I am now trying the XP VPN client and nothing. Every config on the router fails with either a request for aggresive mode saying that dynamic Main mode is for microsoft VPN only.....WHAT? Thats what it is! Also I can fail with no connection assigned. The layout is a WinXP laptop (10.10.10.x)behind a linksys router using NAT connecting to a static RV042. I have opened ports, removed the NAT firewall and everything. I have also seen other on the net asking about it. I found one that said it is hard and you have to tweak IPsec on XP. All the XP IPsec filters are in as per the Linksys Knowedgebase. ANybody have this happen to them?

razz

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by LMon In reply to Linksys RV042 VPN from XP

If the computer has xp sp2 installed check to see if there is a checkmark on remote desktop and remote assistance. Rick click on the connection being used select properties. then select the advanced tab, select setting, then select the exceptions tab you make sure there is a check mark in remote assistance and remote desktop you can also add programs there.

Also make sure that both computers are able to make and receive and connections by running the Make new connection wizard and setting up an advanced connection. Make sure you run both of them on both computers.

Collapse -

by razz2 In reply to

I Like the ideas, but did not fit my situation. The laptop (remote client)
is Win XP SP1. I can create connections fine, and Remote Desktop is
not needed for a VPN IPSec connection. The office end is a Linksys
RV042 Cable/DSL Firewall/Router with VPN (30 tunnels).

Again, thanks for the try though as I am open to anything. If anyone
has gotten WinXP to connect to a RV042 please tell me your settings.

razz

Collapse -

by rknox In reply to Linksys RV042 VPN from XP

Razz, I only wish this were an answer. Unfortunately, I am in exactly the same spot you?re in. I?ve tweaked IPSec on the client and done about everything I can think of. I work with Cisco PIX 525 gear in my day to day duties and thought this RV042 would work at least half that well. It hasn?t. It strikes me that this Linksys device, as a post Cisco release, really should allow for easier setup. Provide a setup wizard, a client, something Linksys! This thing is marketed as an easy way to connect road warriors back to the office; we don?t have any road warriors that smart! I?ll either have to become really impressed here or can this thing in favor of a PIX 501.

Has anyone gotten this thing to work?

Thanks,
RK

Collapse -

by razz2 In reply to

I wish I could give you the "Accepted" just because it made me so happy to not
feel alone! Like you, I have a lot of experience at IPSec and am very frustrated
about this. I warned the client that it was a newer model that I had not dealt with,
but that the company was good (and owned by Cisco) and that the router had A
LOT OF GREAT FEATURES for the price. I still think the router is a great deal at the
price, but this issue is bad. I am lucky that I have the SafeNet SoftRemote IPSec
client software loaded for the Watchguard products I deal with. With it I can
connect, but even then only when the RV042 is setup as a GROUP VPN. I saw one
posting on Experts Exchange were someone had solved it but it was in their
premium "pay for it" area. I guess for now the question remains open. Thanks
again RK. I so rarely have questions that they are WEIRD ones when I do. And
often I get no valid solution when I post them. Lets hope for both of us someone
has this answer.

Thanks again to anyone with an idea,

razz

Collapse -

by razz2 In reply to Linksys RV042 VPN from XP

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)