General discussion

Linux-Windows 2000

By montyo ·
I am running Windows 2000 advanced server using internet sharing. I have a cable modem coming in to my windows 2000 system with 2 network cards. All of my other systems receive their IP via DHCP including my Linux-mandrake system.
Question- How do I configure my network so that I can share files with my Linux, windows network? Is Samba the answer?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

47 total posts (Page 1 of 5)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by spiceman In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

Samba is the answer. You need to have Windows and Linux have the same work group name and of course on the same subnet.

You may need to use LMHOSTS file. The lmhosts file will allow your Windows computer to locate other computers broadcasting SMB(Session Message Block protocol) without requiring a NetBios nameserver.

You can have linux as a server or a client and setup vary!

If you don't have documentation for setting up and configuring samba try:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html

good luck.

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by montyo In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by McKayTech In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

I agree that Samba is the best answer (it's also the one I use in a mixed W2K/Linux network). However, you will need to make sure you obtain a recent release of Samba (I believe 2.0.7 is the current release) as there are some W2K issues with earlier versions.

paul

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by krabotnik In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

Note; you will need to put a registry patch on each of your Windows machines for a plain text password in order for them to integrate with the Samba machine.

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by jkozura In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

I have integrated a Corel Linux server running Samba 2.0.7 with my office's Novell and Windows NT4 servers. The Linux server looks just like our other PDC (it is in it's own domain) to all the other machines. Several people authenticate from it for Windows networking, and overall it is a much better NT server than NT is, with the exception of running MS apps.
John Kozura IV
IS Manager
AICPA/PDI

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by Lee V. In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

Samba can be configured to use encrypted passwords such that you do not have to do the Windows registry editing stated in Answer #3 to send clear-text passwords, a potential security risk. Also, Samba can redirect user authentication to an NT/2000 domain controller so that a user database does not have to be configured and maintained on the Linux box. See the HOW-TO link from Answer #1 for details on these and other useful settings. I have integrated a RedHat Linux server into an NT enterprise using Samba, and as far as the network is concerned, it is just another Windows box.

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
47 total posts (Page 1 of 5)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next