Linux Workstation - Win 2000 Server - AD - How do you Authenticate?

By halibut ·
I know many of you are Linux Guru's so I thought I would ask the question. We have a client that uses Windows 2000 Server and has a RH EL3 Workstation that we want to authenticate to the Active Directory userlist. Is there anyone that has a great how-to that I can follow to set this up?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I don't know the answer to this one for you but

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Linux Workstation - Win 2 ...

I've never setup a LAN with a Windows DC and Linux Workstations. As this is the Enterprise edition of Red Hat you do have a 12 month free subscription to their support line which is renewable.

However doing a general search of RH's support I did find these which may be of some use

Though to be sure I'm not certain that you can do this as with any Linux Server you don't run the Windows type AD `system and I've also never used the Red Hat Enterprise Linux's so I'm not personally sure on this one.

Collapse -

Windows Auth

by p.j.hutchison In reply to I don't know the answer t ...

To authenticate to Windows domain you need to use a Kerboros client set up on Linux.

A KDC is the Domain Controller. Realm might be the FQDN (domain name).

Collapse -

there isn't much documentation toward doing this

by halibut In reply to Windows Auth

Will the MIT version of Kerberos talk properly to the bastardized version that MS created?

I was hoping somebody would have done this using LDAP and could give me some pointers. Originally I thought Samba would allow this but after a bit of digging I see that it doesn't. An NT domain would work but not 2000 or 2003.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)