General discussion

Locking down Win2000 clients?

By mark ·
I am looking at rolling out win 2k on the desktop and am after any info on building a corp desktop and locking it down. I know most of what to do for NT4, profiles & polices shared folders and a few reg edits, but what about 2k??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Win2k Lockdown

by sslater In reply to Locking down Win2000 clie ...

With Win2k you have something called the Group Policy editor that lets you configure your client PCs the way that you want. It is accesible via the MMC, in Active Directory Users and Computers. If you right click on any object (the domain, a group, an OU, etc) and select Properties you will see a tabbed dialog box and one of the tabs will be Group Policy. You can create policies here that control the look and feel and security of your client PCs. This requires that you use Active Directory on your network and there is alot more to it than what I have outlined.

Collapse -

like what?

by root In reply to Win2k Lockdown

I'm still having problems applying specific GPO's to the OU's that users log in to. The only GPO that I have successfully applied was to the ENTIRE SITE, but that means that the GPO is applied to my own administrative account and Administrator aswell... I can't seem to get the client machines to retrieve that info.. they also use roaming profiles.. so..

Back to IT Employment Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)