General discussion

Log on problem with Win2000

By schiff6 ·
In my computer lab I recently added a computer running Win2000. The other computers are running NT. I set up the computer and can log on as administrator and the computer lab log on. However, when I try to log on using my username and password, the machine reboots. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to Log on problem with Win20 ...

I know that in a win2000 server environment you add the computer to the server then boot the computer up as admin. to add the user. It sounds like the win2000 computer was installed incorrectly for users. As you installed 2000 did you answer all questions correctly or guess at a few? how did you setup the user and what are his rights?

Collapse -

by schiff6 In reply to Log on problem with Win20 ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by TimTheToolMan In reply to Log on problem with Win20 ...

Hi,

Check the event log for any indication of problems at the time you attempt to log in.

Its likely to be some dud software that your login alone attempts to start up. Or more likely some permission problem with your account.

Is your account part of the administrators group? How about the "computer lab" account?

Cheers,
Tim.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by b_M_d In reply to Log on problem with Win20 ...

Just a guess but Is there a login script or policy set for the NT 4 account? If there is, is it valid in 2000? The only think I have seen reboot 2000 is software that interfaces with hardware like directcd.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by thotask6 In reply to Log on problem with Win20 ...

I feel that you have created a group policy or a user policy after installing correctly the operating system. If you have done so then remove the policy applied to the user and the group. Then reboot and try to login. This should solve your problem.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)