General discussion

Logging on to NT in a 2000 domain

By ireilly ·
I've set up a lab to do some recovery testing. There are only two servers, one is a 2000 DC and the other is a NT member server. The NT member server was able to join the domain, but after the reboot, I can't logon to the domain. I get a "domain is unavailable" error. WINS and DNS are both running on the DC and resolving correctly, I've verified that the 2000 server is listed in WINS as DC for the domain. I've also ensured that this isn't a spanning-tree learning stage problem. I even tried a lmhosts entry in the NT box with a DOM entry for the DC. Pings work to both the address and machine name from both sides. Also, when I set the member server up with 2000 it worked fine. I only have this problem when the member server is NT. Any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by johnmariquit In reply to Logging on to NT in a 200 ...

1. Check the IP address of both machines. Make sure that they're on the same subnet.
2. Ping the 2000 machine from the NT machine to make sure that connection can be established
3. Run "ipconfig /all" on the NT machine to verify the the IP addressfor the DNS server is that of the 2000 machine.
4. Ping the domain name used in the domain logon. If it fails, check your DNS server settings on the 2000 machine. Make sure that there is an appropriate zone entry for the domain logon name.
5. If you still can't logon after steps 1-4, try manually adding the NT computer name to the AD (Active Directory) via "Start menu->Programs->Administrative Tools->Active Directory Users and Computers". Click on the "Computers" node in the left pane, then right click on the right pane and select "New->Computer".

Collapse -

by ireilly In reply to Logging on to NT in a 200 ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Logging on to NT in a 200 ...

You said you put in "lmhosts entry in the NT box with a DOM entry for the DC." But, did you also define the NetBIOS name for the domain in the LMHOSTS file also?
When you use LMHOSTS file for domain authentication, there are 2 lines you put in.
1line to define the IP address and machine name for the DC, with the #PRE and #DOM switches.
The 2nd line is to define the domain name, pointing it to the IP of the domain controller.

The LMHOSTS file on the NT box should look similar to this:10.0.0.1 PDCNAME #PRE #DOM:DOMAIN-NAME
10.0.0.1 "DOMAIN-NAME \0x1b" #PRE

Where you put in the IP, machine name of the 2000 DC, and the NetBIOS name of the domain. And don't forget the #PRE switches on both lines, otherwise these defintions are NOT loaded!
Technet article Q180094 will explain all of the details.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q180094
(please remove any spaces)

hope this helps

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)