Networks

Our forums are currently in maintenance mode and the ability to post is disabled. We will be back up and running as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!

General discussion

Looking for help with a Cisco 881 router and DSL access

By jamblaster ·
I have been trying to get my Cisco 881 to allow internet access to my clients via a Dlink DSL modem, but I can't seem to get the pppoe connection to work through the router. I have tried configuring the WAN link as the pppoe client, but I don't think that is possible because I am unable to configure pppoe as a protocol option for the vpdn-group; my only option is l2tp. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use the clients to just connect with a pppoe connection through the Cisco 881 without having to actually involve the router in the process? I know it is, but the pppoe connection will not go through unless I directly connect a client to the modem (and that isn't an option).

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

First Step

by NetMan1958 In reply to Looking for help with a C ...

Is the DLink just a modem or is it also a router. If it is a router, did you put it in bridge mode?

Collapse -

Hello

by jamblaster In reply to First Step

It is a Dlink DSL-2320B and I am pretty sure it is just a modem. I think that if it was a router/modem I would have been able to just create a subnet between the two routers and that would have solved the connectivity problem, but I'm not 100% sure so that is why I am asking. I may have to end up buying another DSL modem/router, but I wanted to use this one and configure the router around it.

Collapse -

According to the manual

by NetMan1958 In reply to Looking for help with a C ...

According to the manual for that DLink (you can download it from their website if you don't have a copy) on page 9 it shows that the device can be set for 3 different modes:
PPPoA, PPPoE, Bridging.
You need to set it to bridging so that your Cisco router does the PPPoE and get's the IP address from your ISP.

Collapse -

Thank you

by jamblaster In reply to According to the manual

I will try that and see what happens. Thank you very much.

Collapse -

DSL Access

by mbouyem diogene In reply to Looking for help with a C ...

Did it finally work using the bridging mode? Did you set the command
(config-if) # accept dialin
just after
(config-if) # vdpn group {name} ?