General discussion

LotusNotes will not open in Windows 2000

By z_mazurc ·
Hi all,
I have successfully installed Lotus Notes 4.6 on a new Dell Latitude laptop running Windows 2000 Pro. When the laptop is connected to our Novell network, Notes opens with no problems. When I reboot the computer without the network connection, Notes will not open, just shows the splash screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I need this ASAP.
Chris

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tamj123 In reply to LotusNotes will not open ...

make sure the exe is point to right location of notes.ini files
exp: C:\Lotus\Notes\notes.exe =u:\lotus\notes\notes.ini

Collapse -

by z_mazurc In reply to LotusNotes will not open ...

thanks, but that wasn't it.

Collapse -

by k.scott2 In reply to LotusNotes will not open ...

A couple of possibilities here. First, your other answer to this question is correct, you must be sure that the Notes.ini and other files are all available when the PC is not LAN connected. Also, if the PC was last used with Notes is LAN mode, it may be looking for its server and getting stuck. Check to be sure your location document is set to LOCAL or whatever your no LAN location document is called.

Search your HArd Drive for Notes.ini, make sure that :-

A> It exists!
B> It is on the PATH
C> It is not Write Protected
D> It has been recentl;y modified

Notes modifies the Notes.ini every time it starts and/or every time the user changes a setting that needs to be remembered next time the client is used. If your Notes.ini on thehard disk is not date/time stamped the day & time you last used Notes, it is not the one being used. This would indicate your notes client is looking on the LAN for its Notes.ini file.....hence the problem when you are not connected!

If none of this helps, post more details on the configuration of your laptop and notes client...

Collapse -

thanks, the .ini issue was somewhat related. i removed most of the info in the ini file up to the point where it specifies the network drive location, reinstalled lotus on the client and it is working. there might be one other step in there i forgot, i did this two weeks ago and have since gone onto other 'issues'. thanks again.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)