General discussion

MAINFRAME, LINUX/UNIX & OS390

By daryl_s ·
Hi everyone
Can anyone tell me definitively if this is possible. Can you emulate the OS390 operating system in a unix/linux (or any other variation) environment?
What we want to do is run a DB2 for OS390 application on a non-mainframe machine. I know you can emulate Unix/Linux in OS390 and to my way of thinking logic should dictacte you can go the other way.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Thanks in advance

Daryl Sheppard
daryl_s@iprimus.com.au

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by schannachie In reply to MAINFRAME, LINUX/UNIX & O ...

HI,

Yes it is possible and it realy runs. I had about four installed! If you are familiar with main frame architecture, I've installed one at a G6 IBM 9525 processor running stand alone, LPAR arquitecture at another client, and under VM/ESA at a G3 3090, that was the marist distribution. I've isntalled DB2 6.0 Universal in a G6 under linux390 using suse distribution with 2.2.16 and 2.2.4 Kernels.

It's true, the penguin runs in the big blue iron.

For more info just let me know ....

Collapse -

by schannachie In reply to MAINFRAME, LINUX/UNIX & O ...

Of course there is the way to run mainframe applications under linux/unix. I'm now trying to change old IBM 9345 B11 disks to 3390 mod 3 with a drive geometrcal driver. Obviously this is emulated too.

Feel free to contactme with your comment.Thanks .

Collapse -

by daryl_s In reply to MAINFRAME, LINUX/UNIX & O ...

Thanks for your help,unfortunately the boss canned this particularly project for the time being ;-( If it does get up and running again, I may well be in touch
Thanks

Collapse -

by daryl_s In reply to MAINFRAME, LINUX/UNIX & O ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Linux Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)