General discussion

make my xp 2200+ to be an actual 2200+?

By neek ·
i am running windows 2000 pro, and i checked the speed of my cpu in system management, but it only clocked in at 1808 the first time and then 1809 the second time... it is an AMD ATHLON XP 2200+, now how can i get my 2200+ to be as fast as a 2.2 or if not that high, any higher then 1800??? will i have to use windows xp? i know the clock speed on the box says 1.8 but i thought XPs could go higher than that? please let me know, thanks in advance

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by savatovic In reply to make my xp 2200+ to be an ...

Hi Neek,

I'm afraid you are a victim of a marketing trick. This is how AMD 'describe' their CPU's. What they are actually claiming is that their CPU's on 1,8 GHz actually perform as 2,2 GHz Intel CPU's.

Your Win2000Pro correctly reports the clock speed and installing a new operating system of any kind (be it Microsoft or Linux) will not help you. You might be able to increase clock speed on the motherboard (in BIOS setup), but in that case you are jumping into overclocking waters and if you are not well informed and equiped, you may end up burning your CPU.

So, my advice would be, leave it as it is and live with it.

Collapse -

by neek In reply to make my xp 2200+ to be an ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by been there In reply to make my xp 2200+ to be an ...

From what I have read, is, that comparing clock speed from one manufacture to another is like copmparing apples to oranges. The bottom line is, how efficent is the cpu? Does it take less instructions to accomplish a task? How about bus size? Does ithave a large or small Cache. I understand that the competitors usually have found better ways because they can't violate copyrights ect.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to make my xp 2200+ to be an ...

The only way to speed up ANY CPU beyond it's rated speed, is to get into overclocking.

This site http://www.overclockers.com/
has articles on over-clocking, and a database of what speeds users have acheived on their systems.

Keep in mind, that even if you double the CPU speed, you will see at BEST a 50% increase in performance. The average is less than 25%
Only you can decide if the speed increase is worth the risk.

With W2K, you can get a better increase in performance by maxxing out the RAM on your system.
Giving Windows more RAM to work with is always the least expensive, most productive system performance improovement.

Chas

Collapse -

Collapse -

by rboggio1 In reply to make my xp 2200+ to be an ...

My friend you have run head long into an old marketing ploy. Cyrix used to do it; I will never forget my old Cyrix 200 that only ran at 150 Meg. Well it did not really matter what they claimed it ran like my Sound Blaster live at the time wanted a minimum of Pentium 166 not what ran like 200. I was sooo smoked over that! Fact was I did not pay attention to the details. I hate to see AMD doing it to. In my "opinion" they have the better product but that is beside the point. Nonetheless you have a real fine 1800 Meg processor. AMD has a nice white paper on it at the following link. http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/processor_performance_whitepaper_v12.pdf There are plenty of shareware clocking utilities out there to run independent of windows if you want a third another option to try. One thought, I have found with some motherboards the memory speeds are adjustable. They default to the lowest exceptable speed. That will effect performance. That setting is in the BIOS. I do not think it applies here but it is something to look at.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Dynamo2003 In reply to make my xp 2200+ to be an ...

What you find in Windows is an approximation that cannot tbe relied on as long as your PC is in working order. If you don't want an expensive fix, i.e. burning away your processor my advice is for you to let a sleeping dog lie.

Collapse -

Back to Desktop Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next