General discussion

Making a Win2000 Drive Bootable

By sjBliss ·
I suspected a corruption in my primary Win2000 drive. To test the thesis, I loaded Win2000 on a second drive (master drive / secondary ide) and subsequently confirmed my suspicion.

However, when I change the BIOS to boot from this new OS installation, the error "NTLDR not found" appears. Upon examing the new drive, I noted that none of the usual key system files (ntldr, boot.ini, command.com, io.sys etc) are present. Apparently, the new install put the boot files (overwriting the original copies) on the old drive, and simply installed the WINNT directory on the second drive.

If I copy the missing files from the first drive to the second, how can I get the system to recognize this? I noted the commands FIX MBR and FIX BOOTSECTOR in the helpfile for under Recovery Console (which is installed already on the first drive), but am not clear of the proper usage or sequence - if these are the solution.

Thanks in advance

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Making a Win2000 Drive Bo ...

Remove your old drive and install the new, then install Win2K. The new drive will be C: . Install the old drive and check your BIOS settings to insure that the new drive is first in the boot order. Yoo can use Disk Administrator to change drive letters. I would suggest doing this before installing any programs on the new installation.

Also set the jumper settings on the new drive to master and old one to slave

Collapse -

by Baadil In reply to Making a Win2000 Drive Bo ...

Remove the old drive. Insert the new drive and Pri Master. Start Windows 2000 Setup and select repair instead of the full installation. This will allow the setup to repair your boot files.

This is a normal for Windows to leave the boot files on the first drive and load the rest of the operating system files on the location you specified.

Collapse -

by wlbowers In reply to Making a Win2000 Drive Bo ...

You can do an inplace upgrade to the 2000 os.

Go to the Microsoft Knowledgebase and read Q292175

Buy the way for XP read Q315341

This will reinstall the os over existing.

Lee

Lee

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)