General discussion

Manage XP Group Policy with 2000 Server

By EdLockett ·
Domain with a single windows 2000 domain controller. Need to control win xp clients via group policy, specifically, windows firewall settings.
Although the server has all updates and service packs applied I do not see 'network connections' under computer configuration > administrative templates > network and cannot access the options I need.
What if anything could I be doing wrong and / or how can I update the group policy schema appropriately?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to Manage XP Group Policy wi ...

You can expand GPOs using custom Administrative Templates which can be used to add registry changes via GPO.

A good guide on writing templates can be find here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;185589

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873449/en-us

Collapse -

by EdLockett In reply to

Thats interesting. Although I do not want to create new templates or settings, I just want to see the options that should already be there!

Collapse -

by entawanabi In reply to Manage XP Group Policy wi ...

This is one I've been waiting for, experts please respond to this so I learn:

The likelyhood is that your "WINDOW" is shared on a timeshare basis, this means that everyone, as far as the computewr is concerned is useing the same keyboard and screen with a shared proximity IP (Identifiction Protocol)and are doing so on the same single windows 2000 domain controller instead of each at a domain IP with an extension IP which is Their own machine in the group(?)and also their own domain copy of the Server with specific controllers.

I've seen this before and have no way of dealling with it except to down main it to a static opt and then load it correctly with the above with strippings from the static copy.

This is not a good solution and is to my knowledge unneccessarily expensive in equipment and hours. Surely you'all can indicate the feild to call for people to call to deal with such a problem?. IT Consultants, Security mavens, WHOM?

Collapse -

by EdLockett In reply to

Um, this doesn't appear tpo be relevant to my question, How has this happened?

Collapse -

by EdLockett In reply to

Um, this doesn't appear tpo be relevant to my question, How has this happened?

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to Manage XP Group Policy wi ...

BTW, ARe you using Windows 2000 GPEdit tool or
using Windows XP GPEdit tools (with Admin tools installed)?
You might see the settings if you used Windows XP
to view/modify the GPO settings.

Collapse -

by EdLockett In reply to Manage XP Group Policy wi ...

Help!! Can't someone tell me how to manage Windows Firewall settings with Group Policy on a 2000 Server ??!!

Collapse -

by NZ_Justice In reply to Manage XP Group Policy wi ...

I know your problem.

Highlight the "administrative templates" folder. Now go to the console menu and select "view". On the following drop down menu select "filtering..." In the follow window that opens uncheck the bottom check box. you should now be able to see and edit gp.

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)