General discussion

Mandrake Linux 10.1 w/8211 wireless installs

By jck ·
I am happy to report:

I am typing from Mandrake Linux 10.1 running Mozilla 1.73.

Advice for installs of this type:
1) get the driver source from Infineon (1.79)
2) get NDISWrapper 1.1 (it supports WEP 12
3) When you decompress both archive files, put them both in the same directory.
4) Use the directions at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki under the Installation section. They are the best I've found
5) ENJOY IT! I AM!

I am now a Linux user...and proud to say it. I'll check my checkbook next Friday (payday) and see if I can send a check to Sourceforge. I believe in supporting the good website with directions.

(I'd give you all money for the help, but I'm poor. Maybe beers later sometime?) :)

Thanks again...if anyone's interested, I'll log what things I ran into in the process to ease future pains for others. Feedback requested.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

sounds good

by Jaqui In reply to Mandrake Linux 10.1 w/821 ...

maybe concider taking the process and turning it into a howto.
or if a wireless howto exists, send it to the maintainer for inclusion.

Collapse -

Happy computing

by stress junkie In reply to Mandrake Linux 10.1 w/821 ...

I haven't used the version of Mandrake that you installed. I can say that I'm glad that you didn't get the v9.2 version of Novell SuSE. I had been using SuSE since their version 9.0 and I thought it was great. Then I installed v9.2 and was appalled with the problems.

One problem starting with Linux is wondering what software do you use to perform a task. Here are a few suggestions.

I will recommend the OpenOffice.org v2.0-beta software. I've been using it and I love it.

If you have the Gnome desktop software installed you might want to try Gnome Evolution for mail, calandar, and task list management.

If you want a simple mail client then Kmail is the way to go. It is a KDE application.

http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=572

As far as burning CDs and DVDs there is nothing to compare with K3B. It is a KDE application so you need to have KDE installed, but it's worth the disk space.

You can install many desktop software systems if they are not already installed with Mandrake.

Good luck. I hope that you enjoy the experience.

Collapse -

Linux installs

by jck In reply to Happy computing

Yeah, I have all the desktops installed. Did that in the configuration screen for what modules to install.

Ask for starting with Linux...yes, it is hard for me. The last time I used Linux at all was 1998 or 1999, and the only graphical interfaces (that I knew of) were Free86X and XWin11 (or something like that...it's been a long time clouded by learning too much MS).

I am quite lost, in fact, with where to find things so I kind of poke around and look in places. For instance, I have no idea what rpms contain what and where to look to reference what they contain. I don't know how to "update" or "install". It's just a totally different world than the CLI Linux I was used to. But when it comes to finding a file (even if you know what to look for), it becomes more to know how to get it installed. Gotta remember. Last time I messed with Linux, IEEE1394 and USB and PCI didn't exist. It was all ISA slots, serial/parallel ports, and 256k VGA cards. Linux started with a default. And, you added from there to get hardware working.

Not that I don't like that it tries to default install, but it becomes cumbersome trying to remove it when it installs the wrong driver (making sure that everything is removed and deactivated).

It's just going to be a struggle. I wouldn't expect anything less. I remember how hard it was getting used to a mouse (still not that adept with one) after typing on keyboards for 13 years. I still prefer CLIs in some ways, but I like it when a GUI makes the process more time-efficient. If not, give me -h menus, man pages, and let me figure it out rather than letting a GUI-designed installer do it wrong.

Hahaha...can you tell it's Monday?

*rant switch off*

Collapse -

A few more ideas

by stress junkie In reply to Linux installs

My favorite terminal emulator is gnome-terminal.

Using a terminal emulator you can use the find command to find things such as:

find / -name xftree

That particular command will help you to see where your system permissions are messed up. You should be able to see into almost all of the system directories. If you want to get rid of the error messages then do this:

find / -name xftree 2>/dev/null

I keep showing xftree as the file to find because it is an excellent file "explorer" very like Windows Explorer. I hate the file explorers that come with KDE and Gnome. xftree comes with the XFce window manager.

Playing with the rpm utility, using the rpm man page for inspiration, you may be able to see all of the files that come with a particular package. I believe that you would use the query options as in:
rpm -q
followed by some query option like -i or -d. Remember that you can pipe the output of one utility to the input of another so, going back to the find command, you could do something like:

find / | grep xftree

You may have guessed that the find command is one of my favorite sources of irritation. It's a great command but regular expressions and other idiosyncracies with it cause me lots of stomach problems.

Another great terminal emulator is Konsole. It comes with the KDE environment.

Let me know if you would like more information on anything.

Back to Linux Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)