Question

mav368, where are you?

By ThumbsUp2 ·
Does anyone know how to find a TR member by their email address, or at least by what shows before the @ symbol in their username? I don't see any type of search that will find them if they have not actually posted on TR somewhere.

A member, mav368@, sent me a PM asking a question that has not been posted on the forum. Since I don't reply to PM's because it reveals my true email address to people I don't know, I'd like to find this member and ask them to post their question here on the forum. The question, quoted below, actually looks legitimate and they're probably waiting for an answer.

Here is the email:

One of your fellow TechRepublic members has sent you
a private message:

Subject: hi there
hello, i have a question...if you could help me? i'm a network
administrator and before me was a guy whou cloned some
mac addresses to have acces on internet. the question: it is
possible to detect if somebody in the network clone mac addresses?
or it is possible that isa server detects mac addresse that are cloned?
i hope you understand....thank you

<edited: hmmmm.... tags don't work>

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

T-Up2

by The Scummy One In reply to mav368, where are you?

I often receive emails for help, but like you I do not reply unless I know the person.

A few months (or more) ago they took away the people search, so it used to be easier to find people in these situations. However, if they have not posted anything, I just ignore the question.

Collapse -

People Search may have gone, but you can still do it . . .

by OldER Mycroft In reply to T-Up2

On you own screen, click on YOUR Name, when you get to your Profile Page you'll see your listing in the Top 100 (if you're in it at all).

Click on the 'Top 100' letters and you get to view all 100 of the little suckers, including me having been pushed down to No 5 now!

Anyway, above the listing is a Search Box!

Try that and type in the xxxxx@ (without the '@').

Job Done!

mav368 apparently does not favour Private Messaging.

<Edited for afterthought>

Collapse -

Good to know!

by The Scummy One In reply to People Search may have go ...
Collapse -

Thank you.....

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to People Search may have go ...

I hadn't seen the search bar way up at the top. Blind in my old age, I guess!

At one point, I had found a list of what I thought was all members, but Mav368 wasn't listed. I guess the list that I found was for those who accept PM's. And now, I can't even find my way back to that list. It's hidden somewhere.

Collapse -

Thanks, and you're right....

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to T-Up2

I had ignored the email for several days, but my conciense started bothering me. I hate when that happens. So, I thought the least I could do was to try and find them. But, you're right. If they don't have the decency to post IN the forum, we should just ignore them.

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)