Question

Maxtor 6L250R0 not right size

By J_CJones ·
Hi,

I recently purchased a Maxtor 6L250R0 ATA and it is hooked up to my cpu with SATA cables. It is reading as a 32gb and I have vista running on it. Please someone help me. Thanks in advance.

Jim

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Your operating system is on another disk hopefully.

by Absolutely In reply to Maxtor 6L250R0 not right ...

I'm not familiar with Vista, but in XP/2000/NT, you could navigate to "Disk Administration" and view any unused space. You could then allocate the remaining 200GB in a logical partition, or if you don't have your OS or any important, unbacked data on it yet, you could delete the existing partition, and make a new one using the entire drive.

Collapse -

Did you check the BIOS?

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Maxtor 6L250R0 not right ...

What do they say about the size of the drive?

Collapse -

Bios

by J_CJones In reply to Did you check the BIOS?

The bios says that its 32gb but its labeled as the maxtor 6L250R0. According to Maxtor's website, there's a limit capacity switch on it of some sort. I'm new to this stuff so I'm kinda afraid to mess with anything unless I know for sure what I'm doing. I recently upgraded my entire computer; new motherboard and such. So there isn't anything important on it besides windows.

Collapse -

I hope you have an extended warranty for that drive and a good data backup

by ManiacMan In reply to Maxtor 6L250R0 not right ...

There are well known issues associated with Maxtor drives as they are known to be poor in quality and fail well before their mean time before failure is even reached. I'm not trying to scare you here, but please make sure you have a good backup and watch your drive closely for any developing back sectors or data corruption. If you still can, return the drive and purchase a Seagate model instead, because from my experiences in the field, I'd avoid Maxtor for anything as I too have seen more of these drives crash than anything else.

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)