General discussion

MB K7T266 ver1.0+AMD 1.4MHZ max upgrade?

By Chague ·
Hello,
Could anyone tell me what is the max of RAM I can add to this motherboard please? I have two DDR slots free, the occupied one holds a bar of 256Ram.

I also wanted to upgrade the processor. Would you also know what is the max of MHZ that this board can take? (I guess I will need a better fan - I presently have a very noisy Ball Cooler Master CM 12V - I'd like a quiter cooler one - any ideas appreciated)

The reason is so that I can add a firewire and start video editing. I presently run into memory problems with big video cuts.

Many Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to MB K7T266 ver1.0+AMD 1.4M ...

Is this a reddish board? The K7T266 model is made by MSI and you find the specs here:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec
/product_detail.asp?model=K7T266_Pro2U&search_
text=K7T266

If that is your board, it supports DDR200/266 memory, so do not purchase 333 or 400 MHz. The maximum is 2 GB.

This is a Socket A processor systemboard... you'll need to get the AMD XP 2xxx+ processors and determine which to buy according to your budget.

If the systemboard does not support the fastest you can purchase today... look for a BIOS upgrade to the system to fulfill the AMD processor requirements.

There's two models ofthe K7T266 at MSI's site, so look carefully.

Collapse -

by Chague In reply to MB K7T266 ver1.0+AMD 1.4M ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to MB K7T266 ver1.0+AMD 1.4M ...

the BIOS upgrades for the K7T266 Pro will allow you to run an AMD XP up to 2600. The max is 3GB of DDR HOWEVER! I've had this board and had a problem with memory at 1GB even running W2K. [note W9x [includes ME] has a problem with addressing memory over 512 MB and this is a known bug, no fix] Windows 2000 and XP do not have this addressing problem]. The newer version 2.0 [which I also obtained and used didn't seem to have this addressing problem. Further, the K7T266 Pro ver 1.0 also has a chipset bug where the two rear USB ports will sporatically work and then not work. There is no fix for this on the version 1.0 board . A PCI USB card works to provide you with UBS ports.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)