General discussion

McAfee and Services.exe termination code 1073741819

By support ·
I have a brand new Dell Precision 390, hardware RAID 1, 2.4Gz dual core and 2 GB of ram. Has Windows XP SP2, Autopatched before connection to network, Office 04 (updated).

I went to install McAfee 8.0i Enterprise antivirus. Upon reboot, I received a 60 second Stutdown window saying Services.exe had terminated with code 1073741819. SVHost.exe also crashed along with several other system level programs. Restarting the unit several times either caused these errors to re-occur or the system just locked up.

I tried to quickly unistall McAfee to no avail. Then I tried Safe mode to uninstall but the Uninstall package was corrupt. In the end, I went to rstrui.exe (restore) in Safe mode and stepped the machine to pre-McAfee installation.

That fixed the problem but now I'm stuck without anti-virus. I'm tied to McAfee because of our site license.

I plan to take this to McAfee through our license maintenance agreement.

Has anyone come across this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

solved: McAfee and Services.exe termination code 1073741819

by rwt In reply to McAfee and Services.exe t ...

I had the exact same problem, on a Dell Lattitude duo D420.
Luckily, Mcafee have released a new VirscanEnterprise v8 download set 1stNov06, which I was able to use sucessfully and the Pc can now boot up and function.

Collapse -

Dell Embassy Suite and McAfee

by KurtGP In reply to McAfee and Services.exe t ...

Before the McAfee update on November 1, 2006 I believe that it is a on flict between McAfee and Dell Embassy Suite. If you are not using the security features of the Embassy Suites you may want to remove it, since it could cause other problems in the future.

Collapse -

Problem Solved

by roger.brown In reply to Dell Embassy Suite and Mc ...

Had the same problem on a Dell M90. Removing Embassy Suite solved the problem.

Glad I found this post - most others seem to concentrate on the problem being caused by malware rather than conflicts between "genuine" software

Collapse -

Buffer Overflow Problem

by juniormints In reply to McAfee and Services.exe t ...

I've ran into the same issue on many Dell laptops. The only way around it that I've seen is to boot into safe mode, then open the McAfee console and disable buffer overflow protection.

Collapse -

Got the Same Problem

by delbassman In reply to McAfee and Services.exe t ...

McAfee and Services.exe termination code 1073741819

Fiddled with it for almost 8 hours. This was the second Dell I installed Mcafee VurusScan Plus 2009 on. The first one was just quirky. After I ran the clean up utility it settled down. The second one was really failing - Services, Firewall, shutting down every 5 minutes. I eventually signed on from a non-Admin ID and I was able to run a scan that found nothing. Then I used an Admin account and reinstalled Mcafee over top of the first one. That cleared it up. GOOD LUCK with Mcafee crap.

Back to Malware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)