General discussion

MCDBA in SQL 7.0 or SQL 2000?

By mike_violette ·
I am rapidly approaching a milestone in my certification and need to decide which path to take, SQL 7.0 or SQL 2000. As I have to fund the rest of my certification out of pocket, I need to make an intelligent choice. Which path would give me the best "bang for my buck" and would help me aquire a position as an MCDBA?
Thanks for your help.

BTW I have Windows 2000 advanced server in progress now.

Mike Violette

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rkelly In reply to MCDBA in SQL 7.0 or SQL 2 ...

Mike,

As a trainer in a Microsoft CTEC I recommend that you take your certification in the latest product. As far as the basics go SQL 7 and 2000 are very similar (SQL 2000 is actually SQL 7.5 with a few tweaks for AD). Go down the 2000 route then you MCDBA qualification will be more upto date and will last longer (i.e. you will maintain your status when the SQL 7 Exams are retired).

As far as employment opportunities go it shouldn't make much difference which route you go down as employers should see that you are SQL qualified and that's good enough for most of them. Being qualified in the newest version of a product is however always a bonus as it should provide you with the skills to handle such things as upgrading from a previousversion.

Hope this helps

Collapse -

by mike_violette In reply to MCDBA in SQL 7.0 or SQL 2 ...

Great! Thanks for the advice. now I know which direction I need to take.

Collapse -

by mike_violette In reply to MCDBA in SQL 7.0 or SQL 2 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)