General discussion

MCSE 2000 or XP which one?

By scarfacethefirst ·
I'm a MCSE in NT4 and want to upgarde my certification but don't know whether to go for MCSE2000 or MCSE XP. Can anyone advise me which one will be the most used by companies in the future?...My company has started the project of rolling out XP across the board..but I'm also thinking about if I change companies will I be more likely to use XP or 2000.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to MCSE 2000 or XP which one ...

It'll depend greatly on the size of the company, and whether their main focus is on technology or in another field. Your question is whether a given company will be more likely to use servers based on WinNT, Win2000, or WinXP... and that depends on needs and $'s.

Ultimately, it seems the smaller the company, the greater the likelihood of finding WinNT Servers. If the Company is engaged in e-business, then it's more likely that they will be using Win2000, Linux, or WinXP. If the company is pure manufacturing or another non-technical industry, then I see WinNT and Unix based systems.

I too, am WinNT certified, A+ certified, and Compaq certified. I'm going for IBM certifications, then HP (mainly in printers). Probably after those, I will pursue Win2000. IMO Win2000 seems a more stable OS and frankly, many people are still wary of WinXP -- at least at this point in time.

Collapse -

by scarfacethefirst In reply to MCSE 2000 or XP which one ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by cnaes In reply to MCSE 2000 or XP which one ...

I am also an MCSE in NT 4.0 and understand your dilemma. I have been self employed for the last year and have worked at several companies. All of the companies I have worked for were changing from NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 and do not plan to upgrade to XP for 2 to 3 years. So, I woul say if you are planning to go somewhere else soon, the 2000 route would be best. However, if you plan to take your time, the XP route would probably be better. I currently am studying for the 2000 MCSE myself. Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to MCSE 2000 or XP which one ...

There currently is no such animal as MCSE XP. You can , as part of the MCSE Windows 2000 certification choose to take the Windows XP test to meet the Client Operating System core requirment.

You can also choose to take the .NET versions of the core tests in the Networking Systems section.
Similar tests for the .NET architecture are not available in the core Design section.

The Certification remains MCSE Windows 2000 regardless of the choices made above. Remember the MCSE certification is primarily about setting up a Windows 2000 Active Directory-based network, not about desktop (client) operating systems. Windows XP is a client operating system.

BTW, I would go with XP as the client operating system choice as most (if not all)new destop PCs come preloaded with XP.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)