By omensah ·
Setup: NT domain
nt server box
win 98 se laptop
hp 6127 ethernet printer
win xp media center 2005 pc (MCM)
linksys router
cable modem
The MCM and all the other machines are able to surf the web without a problem. The MCM however cannot view the other computers in the workgroup. I get a message that the workgroup is not accessible ..... check with system admin to see if you have access permissions.
My investigations reveal the following"
The MCM is able to ping all the machines on the network including the printer by ip addresss and not names. Also the MCM cannot ping itself either by ip address or by name though it passes the loopback test, i.e. it pings 127.0.0.1 successfully. Using the browser on the MCM, I am able to view the printer's setup page using its url. However the printer driver installation on the MCM fails because it (the installation) cannot find the printer on the network. Thus the MCM cannot connect to the printer.
Prior to adding the MCM to the network, I had an xp home edition machine that worked fine (it viewed the workgroup computers, had the printe drivers installed, was able to surf the web and others).
I don't know what my problem is whether a tcpip, router or other issues.
Please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

solution found

by omensah In reply to media center pc 2005

Norton internet security had to be disabled from the MCE in order to resolve all the issues. It was blocking all inbound traffic to the MCM, thus explaining why the MCM couldn't ping itself and the other computers couldn't ping the MCM. The printer drivers are now installed, and I can now view all the computers in the workgroup from the MCM. Thanks to all.

Collapse -

Thank You for Your Information!!

by ImNotLisa In reply to solution found

I am looking at a laptop that has Media Center 2005 preinstalled and checking out as much as possible before I buy. You have also confirmed for me that I will NEVER, EVER, buy a Symantec product again.

Back to IT Employment Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)