General discussion

media disconnected/ip 169.xxx.xxx.xxx

By ks.srikanth ·
WHY IS THAT EACH TIME WE TRY TO CHECK IP ADDRESS IT GIVES ME 169.XXX.XXX.XXX
AND NOT ABLE TO CONNECT TO INTERNET.
WIRELESS ROUTER (LINKSYS),COMPAQ NOTEBOOK
ALSO SOME TIMES IT SHOWS MEDIA DISCONECTED.
I TRIED IP /RELEASE , IP /RENEW ..NOGO
IT SAYS CAN NOT PERFORM ANY ACTIONS .
TRIED FLUSHDNS ,POWER DRAIN , NO FIREWALLS ,
SIGNAL STRENGTH IS FINE , BUT NOT ABLE TO BROWSE.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by gralfus In reply to media disconnected/ip 169 ...

You aren't connecting to your router, so you aren't getting a valid IP address. A 169 in the first octet of an IP address indicates that you are using Windows as your operating system, using DHCP, and it can't find a DHCP server to get an IP from. It is assigned by Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA), because Microsoft owns the whole 169 range.

This address is considered "private", meaning it can't and won't work on the Internet. If you can't get connected to your router, then you won't get a real IP address vended to you from the router. Does your router show that you are connected to it (probably not)? Can you open the configuration of the router in your browser window? You may need to set a static IP to begin with so that you can configure your router. Linksys routers are usually set to 192.168.1.1 as the default, so your IP needs to be in the range of 192.168.---.---

Does your wireless network card show any activity? It is recognized by Windows, or does the hardware device manager have a question mark by it? Are the drivers for the card installed?

Collapse -

by gralfus In reply to

What IP does the router give you when you ping it?
Do you have any other settings besides IP set in your configuration (default gateway, DNS)?
Can you get into the routers configuration through a browser by putting 192.168.1.1 in the browser address? If you can ping it, you should be able to view this.

It strikes me as odd that you can ping the router if you have a 169 address on your laptop. When you ping the router, is your own IP still 169?

Collapse -

by ks.srikanth In reply to media disconnected/ip 169 ...

the signal strength is excellent.
no faults in device manager.
able to ping router

Collapse -

by willcomp In reply to media disconnected/ip 169 ...

Quite possibly a Windows Socket (winsock) problem especially if you are getting an error that has the word socket in it when ipconfig /renew is run.

Try running winsockfix.exe available at the link below. It has worked several times for me on systems exhibiting similar behavior to yours.

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257

Good luck.

Dalton

Collapse -

by willcomp In reply to

This fix is far superior to netsh command which works about 30% of the time in my experience.

It's simple, don't know why you didn't try it.

Collapse -

by ks.srikanth In reply to media disconnected/ip 169 ...

but ping is fine with the router ..
i did uninstall winsock and tried netsh command ...nogo

Collapse -

by azras In reply to media disconnected/ip 169 ...

Disconnect the cable first and then delete winsock and winsock2, reboot the computer and install the tcp/ip protocol and reboot. connect the cable back and try connecting to internet.
If no go final solution is The golden reinstall the OS!!!!! coz could be virus.

Collapse -

by mojotech In reply to media disconnected/ip 169 ...

First off a 169 IP is not just associated with windows. I have come across many Mac's and linux systems with the same ip addy, 169 simply means no communication can be established.

The easiest way to resolve a 169 ip address is to power down all computers, unplug the power to the router, and unplug the power and cozx connection to cable/dsl modem. Wait one minute, connect coax back, power the modem pack wait for it to sync with your service(Solid cable light). Power the router back up, wait about 15 seconds for it to sync with the modem then power computers back up. You should then be able to get online and have a valid ip. If that fails that could be a winsock error as stated before in this post. If you contact your isp they should be able to help you resolve this issue. Most isp's have an advanced tech support person they can connect you to.

Hope this helped.

Back to Networks Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)