General discussion

memory upgrade for 1998 HP Pavilion 6350

By adoshi4 ·
I have 64M Ram. I want to upgrade to 128 or 256M. When I opened the PC I see 2 slots each with a memory strip.Took out one of the memory strip.It has 72 pins.I presume each memory strip has 32M. I cant get HP customer service to help.They keep on insisting I have 164 pins DIMM...and I dont.Obviously I have a version of hardware that even the reps are not aware off!
Can anyone help me get the upgrade strips?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to memory upgrade for 1998 H ...

First check the motherbord for the 164 pin slots,which would be used for dimms
The modules you described are simms which have to used as pairs,so you are correct that they 32MHz modules each,check Kingston or Crucial web sites for memory,Kingston has a memory digest that will assist you with selecting the right memory.
Check your motherboard manual or manufacturers web site to make sure of the amount of memory you can upgrade too.

Collapse -

by adoshi4 In reply to memory upgrade for 1998 H ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by grandhighdruid In reply to memory upgrade for 1998 H ...

The reason that HP keeps saying that is what you have is because the Pavilion 6350, according to their specs, has 168 pin DIMM. The easiest way to tell is by the number of divisions the memory has where it fits into the system board. If there are 2 divisions, then you are correct, although another possibility is that the actual model number is different OR the memory you are looking at is video memory. I have seen it happen (albeit rarely) where extra things are put into systems. My in-laws' first computer had 32MB instead of the 16MB it was supposed to have!
If there are three divisions, with each of them being different sizes, then it is most likely a 168 pin DIMM. Hope this helps!!

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)