Question

Microsoft Access 2007 Security Password Problem

By Microserf ·
PROBLEM SUMMARY
I can no longer get into Access 2007 as a logon box pops up asking for a user name and password. The user name is my company's network username. I didn't set this up. What have I done wrong?

DETAILS
On my system at work I can use Access 2007 on my standalone PC or, when logged into my network, Access 2003.

In Access 2007 I was trying to set up User Groups and users to restrict access to certain forms and tables.

I created two Groups with two users in each group. I created only one password for one user, specifically:

User name: user1
Password: user1

I closed the database, re-opened it and could get no further than a logon box that had my network username in the logon box. Entering my network password didn't work.

I can no longer open any database using Access 2007 but I can still open them all using Access 2003.

I can't think how this happened and have no idea how to fix it.

Can anyone offer some suggestions please?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Sounds like a network permission issue

by LarryD4 In reply to Microsoft Access 2007 Sec ...

It sounds like the network share, where the database is stored on the network, is no longer allowing you to open the file. Perhaps a file level permission has been altered.

Check the security permission on the access database file, itself. If you are not sure what I mean you should contact you IT Net Admin.

Collapse -

Problem Solved

by Microserf In reply to Sounds like a network per ...

Thanks for your advice. I checked this out but my permissions were OK on this database. As I was unable to open any of my databases I understood that I had done something fairly major.

I've managed to solve the problem by removing (or rather renaming) the workgroup information file that my account pointed to. I don't really understand the more complex aspects of Access so I'm not sure why this solved the problem but I now seem to be able to open my databases again without any problem.

Collapse -

Great

by LarryD4 In reply to Problem Solved

Cheers to figuring it out!

Collapse -

Same problem

by mkxer79 In reply to Great

Please can you explain in more detail how you managed to solve the problem cause I have the same problem and can't find a solution. It has something to do with those user groups. I tried to do the same thing as you did but then the logon screen started popping up every time I open Access 2007. Thanks

Collapse -

Same problem here too

by mcnallysj In reply to Same problem

I also have the same problem, and have no idea how to get it sorted out, and i'm freaking out too!!! Any possibility you could let me know whether you got round it ?

Thanks

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)