General discussion

Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 Problem

By R. A. Caluste ·
Just recently, our users in the intranet have been complaining about the behavior of the Microsoft Outlook when, from time to time, it displays "Requesting data from Microsoft Exchange Server". It will timeout and eventually freeze.

At first, I thought it was purely a DNS issue when several clients cannot resolve the server hostname. That has been fixed already but the problem remains.

I checked out several knowledge bases and came across issues with disabled accounts (that's been fixed by giving rights to self), black hole router (complaints are coming from within the intranet, same network segment as the exchange server).

Access to OWA at this stage (since nobody can open MS Outlook) is also a failure.

Also at this point Dismounting the private mailbox store (hoping to run isinteg.exe) will stop at 66% and freeze.

When trying to restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, status will remain to "stopping" and will never reach the "stopped" status.

Running the Performance Monitor before the problem yields the following observations (during the time the mail service fails):

Microsoft Exchange RPC request = 2 (across time!)
Microsoft Exchange RPC operations/sec = 0

Network bytes received/sent, %Processor Time, Paging is normal.

Looking at the Event Log, I usually see 7011 events.. DNS and BINLSVC both times out waiting for a transaction response. Netlogon returns a warning: Dynamic registration of DNS records fail because no DNS servers are available.

Running a Netdiag /v /test:dns will yield a PASSED report for the dns server. Further verification at the DNS snap-in will yield an online and active DNS server.

(cont.)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

49 total posts (Page 1 of 5)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by R. A. Caluste In reply to Microsoft Exchange Server ...

My only recourse at this point is to restart the server. As soon as I can dismount the mailbox store successfully, I ran isinteg.exe and from time to time, discover folder errors which ISINTEG was able to fix. There were no ACLs error.

Any helpis appreciated. I've been battling this problem for a few weeks already and I've ran out of options (aside from constant server restart whenever this happens). Any suggestions? I can provide you with more info for diagnosis later.

Thanks in advance.

Server specs:
Dell Poweredge 4400, Intel XEON 1000 Mhz.
512 MB RAM,
RAID 5, Windows 2000 Server, Backoffice server 2000.
Around 30+ users.

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by jeffj111 In reply to Microsoft Exchange Server ...

We had to use ESEUTlL, and run ISINTEG numerous times to get one Exchange database back to a consistent state. In the end we lost some Contacts for Outlook users, but that was all. "When situations like these develop, the first step is to shut down all Exchange services and restart the server." http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/tips/DB_Corrupt.asp
Hope you find relief, I feel your pain!

Collapse -

Thank you for your suggestion.

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Microsoft Exchange Server ...

This is an interesting problem, so I did a little search for a possible solution. I ran across an article titled, "Network Manager Challenge: solving Exchange's requesting data problem". Several solutions were offered.

One solution suggested, "...Log on locally to the computer. Add the computer to your Active Directory domain. Restart the computer. Log on to the computer locally, open the Outlook Client; you will notice that the email opens up much faster. Close Outlook. Remove the computer from the Active Directory domain. Restart."

But it seems the best solution stated the following:

"According to an obscure Knowledge Base article, with a TCP/IP-based wide area network, communication over some routes may fail if an intermediate network segment has a maximum packet size that is smaller than the maximum packet size of the communicating hosts - and if the router does not send an appropriate Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) response to this condition. Such a router is sometimes known as a "black hole" router. Basically, you have to go in and hack your registry (never for the faint of heart) and tweak the packet size. It's all described the article #Q314825. To read it, go to http://support.microsoft.com, select Knowledge Base, and enter the Q-number listed."

Read the whole article at:

http://www.outlookpower.com/issues/issue200210/challenge001.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/h01o

Collapse -

Thank you for your suggestion.

Collapse -

Ok, I will check the suggestion by Answer 1. About Answer 2, I've read the article, but the in the Network Manager Challenge's scenario, the client is at a remote location and passes through router to get to the Exchange server. We, on the other hand, have the Exchange server on the same network segment in our intranetl; there is no intermediate network segment. I will look at the other suggestions given by the article.

Will post updates soon. Thanks for the suggestions.

Collapse -

by Frobo In reply to Microsoft Exchange Server ...

I remember such an Problem with Exchange and ScanMail. The Reason for this behavior wasn't the Exchange as more the antivurs Software on the Server. question: could it be that U are using Scanmail or anything like that ?

Regards

frobo

Collapse -

I am sorry but we are not using a mail filtering/virus scanning software as of the moment.

Collapse -

by Joanne Lowery In reply to Microsoft Exchange Server ...

I get a similar error message on a WiFi connectged laptop. It randomly drops its link to the network and then shows the "Requesting data from Microsoft Exchange Server" message. Extropolating, I would suggest you either replace/check the server's NIC and also the Switch / Hub. You could be getting bad packets through the NIC or may have power/data issues with the LAN devices.

Back to Software Forum
49 total posts (Page 1 of 5)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next