General discussion

Microsoft SQL Server 2000

By Michael34 ·
Hello,
I work for a company who has resently made plans to update from MS Access to Microsoft SQL Server 2000. I have set up the server however I am having some issues connecting to the server using 3rd party programs such as Mysql front. I checked the network and see that it shows the server is listening on port 1433 via TCP and Enabled Tunneling but the connection just times out. Any idea's how I can enable it so we can connect using this program?

Also I needed some advice in reguards to a good program I can use to give them access to the database. I know access they have it programmed with a GUI so they can just click on what they need and it brings up the Database and stuff but I was wondering if there is a program out there I could get and create fields and stuff where we could enter the data through a form using a program rather then direct throught he database.

Any help is appriciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Microsoft SQL Server 2000

Try connecting via the Sql Server Agent or use an ODBC connector to the front end of your choice.

You can connect to SQL with PHP also. See the TR sister-site for more details:

http://builder.com.com/5100-6371-5160904.html

Collapse -

by Tony Hopkinson In reply to Microsoft SQL Server 2000

can you ping the port from the remote machine?

By default SQL Server will install with windows only security model. This means it's expecting a windows logon the server knows about. Whatever admin user you installed it under will have the sa account (deity). logon a client as that user, install the client tools from the server install CD. Run Enterprise and register the server. It will provide a list of the servers it can see in a drop down, if you can't see yours you've a net work problem of some description. If you can it will ask for logon, try the ones that should work.
There are two other security models on SQL server SQL itself sa and whatever password you put in under the install and mixed which is either. Default is windows only so if you are in a workgroup and not a domain, you might be better off setting up some users and passwords in SQL server itself and swtching to mixed though that's not recommended as best practice.

Permissions wise the ability to create databases is usually reservd for sa, not a passowrd you want to hand out. The ability to create tables is reserved for the database owner (ie whoever created it). In windows only mode you map a windows logon to a database user, and then assign permissions within that database to the database user.
P.S you can use access itself with external link to do a lot of the stuff you want. In fact use DTS to port acoss their current databases and with a bit of twidlling you can use whatever they've got now in terms of entry forms.

You will get locking and transisolation issues probably though.

You best bet to get a handle on this lot is to run enterprise on the server for sa configuration, and then on a client to see what you can make available and the consequences. Shockingingly for MS, Enterprise is an extremely good tool, one of their better ones by far.

P.S. other things that could have an impact are MDAC verson, client firewalls, and SQL2000 is up to service pack 4 now.

When you've in

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to Microsoft SQL Server 2000

Normally you would install the SQL 2000 Client tools on the PC eg SQL Enterprise manager and Query analyzer. I would not use 3rd party guis as they are designed for other DB servers.

You can also create tables and stuff using ODBC and Access

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)