General discussion

Microsoft Windows 2000 Password Reset!

By kgjeepnb ·
I was just given a new Computer from my Grandfather, who just passed away. Problem is, Nobody knows or can figure out the password(s), for his logon nor the admin profile. It's for a Dell Notebook running Windows 2000 Professional. Can anyone help, without having to purchase one of those Password retrieval programs. Unfortunatley I don't have any of the original Software discs or reboot discs. Any suggestions? Please Help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

secure, secure, secure

by kpak44wh In reply to Microsoft Windows 2000 Pa ...

One word about windows 2000NT Pro, secure! The only
way besides reformatting your hard drive, is to use a 3rd
party password program. You could repair windows with
the install cd, but it might not change the password, and
that's if you have the right cd. You can try choose "Log
Out" to get to the pretty login screen with the icons for
the normal users, and then hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE twice
and you'll now be at the old standard login box where you
can type the username and password. So just type in
Administrator and press enter.
That's if the admin password is blank, if not i would make
a copy of bart pe with another computer. try these two .

Collapse -

THANKS

by jwbradd007 In reply to secure, secure, secure

I never had to deal with win 2000 before, but I just got a call from a client that Im helping with some legal issues and she threw me a curb ball with the win2000 problem. Thanks for the quick fix.

Collapse -

Do you know that this "question" belongs in the "Questions" forum?

by deepsand In reply to Microsoft Windows 2000 Pa ...

The "Discussion" forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution.

Post problems such as this to the "Question" forum, rather than the "Discussion" forum. There are those who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution, and that's where they go to look for such.

Additionally, the "Question" forum provides for your rating the helpfulness of responses, so that others with the same or similar problem might be able to more easily find a solution.

Collapse -

yeah thanks...

by kgjeepnb In reply to Do you know that this "qu ...

I realized it after I had already posted it in the Discussion Forum.....

Collapse -

TR still makes it too easy to do that.

by deepsand In reply to yeah thanks...

Have you noticed that, for example, that when you click on either "Start a Discussion" or "Ask a Question," the same screen is presented?

Collapse -

by mr_goodbomb In reply to Do you know that this "qu ...

Who cares? Answers his damn question or gets out. Jesus, it's not tough to figure out; He's in a bind and he needs help. Stop squabbling over simantics.

Collapse -

Uh, the question's seven months old.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to ...

You may want to check the dates before you respond. This is the only thing the guy posted and he's long gone.

We get a lot of sob stories about lost passwords around here, usually from people who claim to have purchased cheap used systems or received them free. They invariably have some bogus reason they can't contacted the manufacturer and ask for replacement restore disks. Apparently the $10 or $12 cost of S&H is too expensive. Stick around, you'll see two or three a week, always as the first post from a new member who is never heard from again.

Collapse -

wow, what a cryass

by jdclyde In reply to ...

How about answer the question yourself instead of crying about how someone else replied? Step up and make yourself useful and "stop squabbling".

And yes, as palli mentioned, your powers of observation need some work, because this is a long dead question. Good thing all techs HAVE to have an eye for detail, huh?

Collapse -

Whilst I don't want EVER to be considered pedantic

by neilb@uk In reply to ...

I think you'll find that the word is "semantics".

Neil :)

p.s. Damn! This script is taking a long time to run. I'm BORED.

Collapse -

Solution

by thunderhead In reply to Microsoft Windows 2000 Pa ...

Download a copy of EBCD. That has a password eraser in it so you can delete the password to access the pc.

Back to Software Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)