General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Microsoft’s DST patch for Windows 2000 does not work as advertised

by why me worry? ·

Early this Monday morning, we have come to the sad realization that Microsoft’s supposed tzedit tool did not do what it was supposed on the Windows 2000 server and workstations, thus keeping the time as as it was before DST went into effect. We found a fix, which requires manually changing the timezone to something else, and then changing it back, but this involves a manual method which is time consuming. Anyone else care to share their pains this Monday morning with certain systems not rolling over properly?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

same problem here

by tech06 ·

In reply to Microsoft’s DST patch for Windows 2000 does not work as advertised

We have the same issue to Tzedit here as well. Users have to manually change the time on the computer. We’re worried the same problem with repeat in 3 weeks which is the time when ‘regular’ DST would kick in.

Good point. April 1st should be watched as well for funky behavior.

by why me worry? ·

In reply to same problem here

You know, I didn’t think about that possibility. April 1st will be another weekend to watch the Windows 2000 servers like a hawk.

TZEdit Problem

by pcrx_greg ·

In reply to Good point. April 1st should be watched as well for funky behavior.

MS left out a step in the tzedit instructions. We had to go to the Date and Time in Control Panel and on the Time Zones Tab, check to adjust automatically for DST.

Good catch. So come November, time would not roll back to standard time.

by why me worry? ·

In reply to TZEdit Problem

Nice going Microsuck! As if Vista isn’t enough of a pain in the ass to deal with, we have to worry about the clocks not adjusting properly.

November will be fine

by aes2 ·

In reply to Good catch. So come November, time would not roll back to standard time.

There are two parts of the DST rules. One is when each time zone starts and ends DST, which can be edited per time zone by TZEdit.

The other is the current time zone’s parameters, which is set when you set the time zone. When you set your time zone to something else and then back to your own after correcting it with TZEdit, the latest rules get set, including the November stop date.

Let me check that

by j_most ·

In reply to TZEdit Problem

Wow, I hope that does work. Luckily we didn’t have that many 2000 servers, but still is a pain you know? sheesh Microsoft! 🙁

Time Problem On Win2k

by rprather1104 ·

The problem occurs because the tzedit was only intended to change the time zone parameters. It does not modify all the necessary registry keys to have the system update correctly. You must use a registry file & a vbs script that uses windows management to refresh everything necessary. All of the Winnt4 – Win2k – Win98se
      & etc systems we support all updated correctly this morning. If anyone needs the scripts, I will be glad to email them.

Roy W. Prather
      Contract Computer Services

I could certainly use the script if you have it

by why me worry? ·

In reply to Time Problem On Win2k

Email it to me if you can.

Many thanks.

The VBS and Reg file worked but…

by dantilus ·

I noticed that some of our computers didn’t import the modified reg file into the correct key, which is what the VBS file is supposed to do. After just making a simple modification to the cmd file to run the VBS command again, many more systems imported the key correctly. Here’s the updated line, it should be under the last line in the CMD file. Is it needed? perhaps not, but it worked for us.

c:\winnt\system32\cscript.exe \\xxx\xxx\xxx\refreshTZinfo.vbs

“xxx” was our server and share names.

Hope this helps.

Workstations fine, Servers were the issue.

by b.lantz ·

Huh, our w2k workstations updated fine but the w2k servers didn’t. Same script was run on both. Just one of those things, I suppose.

After all this time…

by dan.mcvicker ·

I would very much like you to send me the scripts for this. I had spent DAYS with support only to not get the answer you provide above. Thanks much

I’d also like a copy….

by blakmoon ·

Leave it up to MS to require a patch to the patch…thnaks much!!

Files please!!

by ben.broadfoot ·

Hi Roy, can you please send me a copy of your files for refreshing the time zone information? Thanks heaps

ben.broadfoot@bhpbilliton.com

NonMicrosoft patch

by rjette ·

I found a easy to use patch that worked for me at Intelliadmin.com.

This worked for me

by johnboync ·

Applied TZEdit changes last week; Monday AM, W2K PC still at “old” *ST. Double clicked clock in Taskbar, unchecked box “Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes.” Hit “Apply.” Checked box “Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes.” Time changed to reflect correct TZ *DT time. “ASSUME” it is good to go now; will just wait and see.

Your mileage may vary.

TZEDIT working as intended

by mastertech ·

TZEDIT does exactly what the tool was designed to do, which is modify the parameters of the individual time zone areas. However, it was documented well that you must change the time zone manually to another time zone and back so that windows could apply the changes. Windows imports time zone settings only when they are initially set during the configuration process or when you chanage the time zone.

MS’s procedure said to change to something else first

by the_comp-aid_company ·

I realize that I only applied MS’s TZEDIT tool this (Tuesday) morning, and — by that time — they had, I presume, modified their instructions to tell us to do that very thing: first select some other time zone, and then select your original time zone again. Well I did it, and it worked.

I am so grateful.

Respectfully,

Ron Wackwitz
      The COMP-AID Company
      New Braunfels, TX 78132

40% Failure w/ DST Patch

by dduffy ·

We have a mixed environment of W2K/XP/WinServ2000/2003/Exchange2003. We did the manual patch so we could also do a manual inventory audit. We had about 40% of users showed the wrong time on theier desktops. Meetings were either right, an hour early, or an hour lat; don’t ask me why, just giving the results.

Re: Microsoft DST Patch Windows 2000

by dparker ·

We followed the guidelines at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387 and experienced no issues.

You must MANUALLY change the time

by jfowler ·

After applying the patch you must MANUALLY change the current time. Once that is done the display automatically changes to “Daylight Saving Time”, and the computer will behave properly henceforth as regards time changes.
      (Or at least we can hope ;>)

DST on WIndows 2000 Server

by ken_hagins ·

In reply to You must MANUALLY change the time

I am seeking a fix that will keep the time on all domain servers sych. After manually changing the time on all servers they have a tendency to either fall back a hour or move forward two hours. Are there any suggestions?

W2K DST TZEDIT does work, just need one more step!

by stephen.kane ·

Come Monday morning, I thought the same thing that the DST change I put into our W2K servers didn’t work. But I discovered one important step. After you run TZEDIT to make the changes, you need to go back into the Control Panel’s Date/Time and uncheck the DST box and then recheck it. You will then notice the time will change immediately to the new DST. Apparently, unchecking the DST box and rechecking the box accepts the new parameters.

Viewing 9 reply threads