General discussion

Migrating 10/100 to 10/1000

By dthirlway ·
I have a peer to peer WAN network two LAN connected via VPN.

All devices either run on 10mbps or 100mps.

If I move site a that as two switchs one upliked to the other to be using two 10/1000 copper switches would I be able to still run my network if I dont change anything.

Then If I wont to run certin devices at 1000 all I would need to do is install 10/1000 nics.

Also I use a 10/1000 VPN hardware router also for internet access. Will this be effected?

What cable ratting do I need to run for the cabling? Cate 5E or Cat6 etc?

Any tips on what setps to look at to migrate to 1000mbps.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Migrating 10/100 to 10/10 ...

1 For internal conversion no problems buy you may find it faster if you replace the NIC's with Gigabite ones otherwise the the switches will never be running close to their potential max.

2 If the router is setup properly No it shouldn't be adversely affected. The only possible thing that could happen is that it should be able to transfer data faster.

3 CAT5E should be sufficient for your cabling needs unless you have some very long runs.

As for tips in migrating to Gigabite LAN if you buy the best components possible you are less likely to have problems but there is one potential problem you can not mix Gigabite and 10/100 NIC's in the same computer as they will not work so if you have a 10/100 LAN adapter built onto the M'Board it may not be possible to disable that and fir a Gigabite one.

Col

Collapse -

by dthirlway In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by dthirlway In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by dthirlway In reply to Migrating 10/100 to 10/10 ...

This question was closed by the author

Collapse -

by dthirlway In reply to Migrating 10/100 to 10/10 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)