Question

Migrating a nt 4 DC to a new win 2000 server

By andyb ·
Hello everyone, I am sure this question has been asked before, but I did a search and did not quite find the right answer .
I have an old hp lpr server it is around 7 years old and has been our pdc . I recently got some new servers and want to install win 2000 server on it, and make this the new pc. Is it possible to just make it a member server of our domain and than promote it to pdc. What steps guys/girls would I have to take for this. You guys I really appreciate all of your help.
Thank you so much
Andy

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Migration

by Churdoo In reply to Migrating a nt 4 DC to a ...

To move up from an NT 4.0 domain, you cannot simply join and promote; you need to do a migration from the NT domain to Active Directory.

You'll set up a W2K3 Server (or W2K) and create a brand new Active Directory, create trusts between the NT Domain and the new AD, then use the Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) to copy user accounts and computer accounts from the NT Domain. Migrate the remainder of your network resources, test, test, test, then you can retire your NT4 gear.

Here's an article. The article is based on W2K3, but should be very similar if you're going to W2K.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E92CF6A0-76F0-4E25-8DE0-19544062A6E6&displaylang=en

Collapse -

Or...

by cmiller5400 In reply to Migration

Slap in the w2k/w2k3 cd in the PDC and do an in place upgrade. (much riskier) I would do as churdoo says and build a new domain and use admt.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)