General discussion

migrating from NT to server 2003

By byteside ·
I am working on a posible project for a client. He is considering a new server. Right now he has a server with NT and 5 computers networked and 2 printers. Each workstation has there own dialup Internet connection establised. This is a remote area and they do not have availability for broadband Internet service. I have not visited the site yet but from talking to the guy, it sounds like the Internet connection does not go through the server, but that may be what he thinks. I will have to visit to verify that. Anyway, I would like to build him a new server and install server 2003. I have been looking at some info on migrating from NT to server 2003 and it looks like a process. Can't I just recreate user accounts, set everyone up for DHCP, install necessary software and printers and move files from exsisting server to new server or is there some kind of problem or restrictions moving files from NT to Server 2003. The files in question are just files that the users created from there workstations and saved to the server.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CGriffith318 In reply to migrating from NT to serv ...

I personally do not see a problem. We did an entire domain upgrade from NT 4.0 to Win 2k3 in one night. The biggest pain we ran into was the fact that our users lost thier profiles on the computer b/c we had to have the computers rejoin the domain. Since its only 5 users, I would just recreate the user accounts rather than doing the migration. I do not see this small of a migration being a had job. I would see if they have a DNS server and see how they receive their email to. If the server has any software that the clients run from it then I would check to make sure it is compatiable. Microsoft offers a tool that will check to see if it is compatiable.

Good luck!

Collapse -

by byteside In reply to migrating from NT to serv ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)