General discussion

Migrating from NT4 Server to Windows Server 2003

By akumudzi2 ·
I am planning upgrade my servers from NT4 to Windows Server 2003. I have a network of about 60 users. I searched around for a good enough upgrade plan but most are lacking in many respects. I was wondering if anybody would have experience or knowledge with an upgrade scenario like I have.

I have 3 servers A Primary Domain Controller, a backup Domain controller and a member server which serves as a file and print server.
The PDC serves as the Exchange 5.5 Mail server and proxy running MS Proxy 2.0.
The BDC serves as an application server.

I'm buying a new more capable server which will be my first domain controller. I plan to upgrade Exchange to Exchange 2003, and Install ISA on this server as well.
My questions is what the best upgrade plan is? The best way to migrate user accounts from NT4 to 2003. The best way to migrate exchange mailboxes to the Exchange 2003. The order of doing the operations, i.e what to start with and end with. Start with member server, or BDC or PDC.
What common errors to look out for...

Someone suggested installing NT4 on the new server and then upgrading it to 2k3. I didnt really like the idea but i have nothing strong against it.

Any info or pointers to info will be much appreciated .

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Active Directory Design

by BFilmFan In reply to Migrating from NT4 Server ...

Have you planned out your Active Directory forest as far as DNS namespaces, Organizational Units, etc.?

Are you planning on upgrading the existing servers or installing new ones?

What tools are you planning on using for migration of the user's Exchange profiles?

What OS is on the desktops?

What other OSes are in the enverionment?

What applications are in the environment?

Collapse -

by akumudzi2 In reply to Active Directory Design

> Have you planned out your Active Directory forest as far as DNS namespaces, Organizational Units, etc.?

The AD forest and DNS namespaces and OUs, sites and genral network logical structure has been planned.

>Are you planning on upgrading the existing servers or installing new ones?

I'm generally planning to install a new server as a the main AD server (schema master, FSMO etc..). for the applications I need to do an upgrade but I have 'spare' servers that i could use to avoid a direct upgrade - sort of like backing up configurations and data of an NT4 server onto 0a spare machine then doing a fresh install of Server 2k3 and other applications then restoring data to it.

> What tools are you planning on using for migration of the user's Exchange profiles?

Plannin gto use the Exchange 2k3 Migration Wizard (MAILMIG.EXE) unless there are better tools and ways out there.

> What OS is on the desktops?

All desktop as are on either w2k Pro or XP Pro, so I'm ont really seeing much problems there.

> What other OSes are in the enverionment?
No othe OSes in the environment

> What applications are in the environment?
One accounting applicaption, Scala curerntly using SQL 7.0 which will also need to be upgraded to SQL 2005.

thanks for your questions - eye openers some of them!!!

Back to IT Employment Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)