Question

Migrating Server from Server 2003 to Server 2003

By pagelrn ·
Hi, I have two servers that are running Server 2003, one is file server and is the PDC, other is exchange server and is also BDC. I am replacing these servers with newer and stronger servers. I have a plan, this is to run "dcpromo" on the exchange server (to demote it) and configure one new server with server 2003 and then run dcpromo to promote it to BDC, then run "dcpromo" on old file server to move all FSMO roles to the new BDC and thus make it the PDC. (I have once transfered all FSMO roles (on another site) {using "NTDSUTIL") from the PDC to the BDC. NTDSUTIL reported success on all transfers, but after 15 minutes, there was an error. now I have two PDC's on the same domain, each with duplicated all five unique FSMO roles. Luckily I have sorted this out by creating a domain and migrating users afterwards. Seemless and no problems.

Will my new plan overcome this problem for my new servers??? or is there use a tool (maybe like Microsoft Active Directory Migration Toolkit ADMT v3.0, I can use the FSMT tool to migrate data whilst retaining all shares and ACL's intact.
Please can somebody advise if this is okay or does someone have a better/safer/faster way!!!
I need help urgently, everything I found on the net is very vague...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Share your knowledge
Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)