By QB ·
Scenario:

Unix send mail server in place.
Nt mixed mode domain with 4.0,2000, & 2003 servers
Roughly 1200 AD users accounts

Problem:

Usernames in send mail don?t coincide with usernames in AD

Question:

During the exchange install is there away that you can force all the newly created exchange email accounts to have email addresses formatted, such as firstname_lastname@wherever.com? If so, can you also still keep the existing user account login usernames the same?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Migrating to exchange 200 ...

There may be ways with some sophisticated scripting, etc., and you might want to try doing some research on the MS Knowledgebase web site (support.microsoft.com) to see if you can find any info there. The Exchange recipient policies (this is what controls how user email names are formatted) use the mailnickname variable to create the automatic email addresses for all users. This is the field in AD called "Alias" on the Exchange General tab in the user properties. You would need some way to set this field to firstname_lastname rather than the default, which is the user's logon ID. I've only ever done this manually, and I'm sure that you would rather not do this for 1200 users manually. Unless you are setting up your AD manually anyway, in which case it would be just one more step along the way. If you are using some kind of migration tool, you may be able to preprogram that tool to populate this field with the attributes that you want.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by QB In reply to Migrating to exchange 200 ...

I've done some more research and found that the ADmodify utility is capable of mass changing the email addresses after exchange is installed, but I would rather have it done during the install.

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)