General discussion

Migrating Windows NT 4 to Windows 2000

By timothy_ope ·
I have an nt 4 network (with 1pdc, 3bdc and 1 member server) with a domain name MIS. i plan to migrate to windows 2000 and was told that i need to have a domain name such as MIS.COM and not just MIS.
On all the client computers9windows XP pro, 2000 pro and 9 I have the network setup with MIS as the domain name. To change the domain name of over 200 xp/2000 pro clients means a lot of work especially the copying of profiles.
What is the best solution to achieve this or can I still go ahead to use MIS as the domain name in Windows 2000 server network.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Migrating Windows NT 4 to ...

When you upgrade your NT4 PDC to Win2K, Active Directory will be installed and it upgrades your Domain.
During this upgrade process, you will be asked what you want to make the FQDN to be (fully qualified domain name). At that point, you can make it MIS.COM or TEST.LOCAL or YAHOO.COM if you wanted!
(try not to use the Yahoo suggestion, BTW!)
You will ALSO be told what the downlevel NT4 NetBIOS name will be, and that will stay the same, MIS.
So, don't worry. You won't need to change the the domain name on your clients before the upgrade.

hope this helps

Collapse -

by jlbpotter In reply to Migrating Windows NT 4 to ...

Joseph is correct. I did the exact same thing about a month ago and everything went smooth. Just the way Joseph explains it.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)